• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CB to be Updated 12/21

Artoomis

First Post
I'm pretty unimpressed by the list of bug fixes. These are really minor, compared to the actual issues that I've seen people complaining about (and which I have complained about, myself.) I mean, I get that it's nice to have an export function, and that it was top on some peoples' lists - but what can you import them into?

Talk to me when the following are fixed: inherent bonuses, weapliments in general (instead of apparently just for sorcerers), the asinine and convoluted shop/inventory interface, and the ability to add extra feats or powers beyond those normally allocated.

-O

Not to mention fixing language bonuses for races and a myriad of other data errors (I think the language thing is just a data error as it is wrong in the on-line compendium, too).

What I really want to see is a full list of bugs (including data errors) and evidence that they are working those off in some systematic way.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Oh...my bad...wow...they wanted to make rangers even more powerful? Good...I felt weak compared to the assassin or sorcerer.
You're a ranger? Can you get me Aragorn's autograph?

I'm happy to see the Monster's Vault monsters getting in there. That's what I need now that it's my turn to DM for a few months.
win.gif

Is the next update scheduled in January?

Marshall

First Post
Load your character. Click on 8/Get Equipment. Click on 'Switch to Marketplace'. Click on 'Sell items' in 'choose a shop to enter'. Select the item you want to get rid of. Click on 'Remove'.

Yes, this is needlessly complicated.

The problem goes beyond the complexity tho. Doing what you said above *MIGHT* remove an item from your list, then again it might just stay on the list anyway.

My sorcerer has a +3 Staff of Ruin listed that I can sell at 100%, 50% or 20% or just plain remove it as much as I want and it will not disappear from the list. EVER.

I'd guess it has something to do with the Dragonshard that I imported with it, but it still doesnt work.....oh yeah, about Dragonshards......

Marshall

First Post
Not to mention fixing language bonuses for races and a myriad of other data errors (I think the language thing is just a data error as it is wrong in the on-line compendium, too).

What I really want to see is a full list of bugs (including data errors) and evidence that they are working those off in some systematic way.

and why the heck are we getting a 'scheduled update'? Wasnt the whole point of putting the danged thing online that they could make running changes to it? If they have a data fix they need to make, MAKE IT! Dont tell me you're going to pay me next Tuesday for that hamburger!

abyssaldeath

First Post
and why the heck are we getting a 'scheduled update'? Wasnt the whole point of putting the danged thing online that they could make running changes to it? If they have a data fix they need to make, MAKE IT! Dont tell me you're going to pay me next Tuesday for that hamburger!
I was actually wondering the same thing. My only guess is that, given the current online approval rating of DDI, they are trying to stay as transparent as they can when they do an update.

Artoomis

First Post

Scheduled updates for new data is fine.

It would be nice to see bug fixes (including data errors) fixed a lot more often. I think maybe that will happen now that the stability issues is behind them. There certainly have been some hints that this is the way it will work, we'll know more around April or so as their "battle rhythm" becomes stable. Right now I'd say they are still mostly in reactive mode, reacting to the chaos of releasing an incomplete product into production.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever

Scheduled updates for new data is fine.

It would be nice to see bug fixes (including data errors) fixed a lot more often. I think maybe that will happen now that the stability issues is behind them.
All big databases require scheduled updates. You can't update them on the fly.

First they test all the fixes and new data in a test database copied from the original. Everything that works within the time limit gets moved to the "Migrate to Production" list. Migrating requires different/extra work, so it has to be scheduled to coordinate everyone's schedules. It's a big hassle almost every time.

Does that make sense? I'm not an IT guy, but I've been one a designated tester for dozens of systems over the years.
tmyk.gif

Artoomis

First Post
All big databases require scheduled updates. You can't update them on the fly. ...

That depends upon whether you are updating data only or changing the data structure. The CB has a fair number of data-only errors and/or is missing data, most of which could surely be fixed without any data structure (aka schema) updates.

Dausuul

Legend
That depends upon whether you are updating data only or changing the data structure. The CB has a fair number of data-only errors and/or is missing data, most of which could surely be fixed without any data structure (aka schema) updates.

True, but even regular data updates are not something you want to do on the fly in most cases, and that goes double for the CB.

In most databases, each table contains a whole bunch of records which are basically interchangeable. Say you work at a bank; you might have a table of "transactions," in which each one contains a source account, a destination account, a quantity transferred, whether the transfer was successful, date initiated, date completed, and so forth. Every transaction is fundamentally very similar to every other one and their relationships to other objects in the system (e.g., bank accounts) are well-defined.

In the CB, however, every power, feat, and magic item can reach out into other powers, feats, and magic items and change how they work in a bewildering variety of ways. There are a lot of moving parts and the potential for unforeseen interactions is high. Under such a regime, you want to be real careful tinkering with anything, no matter how trivial a change it may seem. I would be wary of releasing even a simple data tweak without at least a little testing.

Then, too, there's the fact that changing the contents of a database is rarely as simple as changing a value in an Excel sheet. One moment of idiocy can blow up a whole table; ask your local SQL wizard what happens if you forget the WHERE clause when writing an UPDATE statement. (You wouldn't think this would ever actually happen. Trust me. It does.) If somebody did that on production, the whole Character Builder could be down for hours.

As for bug fixes: Deploying code changes is a major hassle. If you did it for every little bug fix, you'd spend 90% of your time preparing for and executing deployments. Unless you've got a showstopper, scheduled releases is the way to go.

Last edited:

Remove ads