CB's Grim Frequencies AP OOC -- COMPLETE

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I know this is a Modern game, but there's also a no real world politics and religion rule on the forums so we may want to gloss over that sort of thing.

Rubberneck

First Post
You bring up an excellent point. One that in my exhaustion last night I looked over. This is modern but nothing says it's our world. So my apologies.

Gribble, I'll award XP for your character submission a bit later. Time for me to log off this morning and move on to other activities. Just didn't want you to feel left out.

Kiraya_TiDrekan said:
I think we need to iron out the gender issue, though. This being a prison scenario, all the characters would likely need to be the same gender (or mis-gendered in the case of my character). Right now Shayuri's character is female and Rubberneck's is male.
You won't be in the prison very long. Make the character with the gender of your choice. I'll bend and warp the setting to acomodate the party. A mixed gender party is fine. I promise.

Rubberneck said:
. . . someone embracing the Muslim faith.
This part is fine.

Just a heads up I know that not all Muslims are bad people but my Army Ranger might not.
It's important to me that EN World be inclusive. As long as you RP your PC in a way that wouldn't cause a 3P viewing our IC to reasonably believe that we're spewing vitriol or hate, I am OK with a character who is uncertain about what it means to be Muslim.

Shayuri

First Post
Yar, if it's in-character and handled tastefully, I think it'd be okay. Characters are allowed to be flawed. Just don't let it slip into caricreature. :)

Rubberneck

First Post
For sure. I would never play my character in a way that was distasteful no matter the circumstances and I certainly wouldn't want to take away from someone else's experience either. There's a difference between the fantasy world we play in and the real world we live in. For all we know the botched mission that got a bunch of J.R.s buddies killed was in an entirely different battle or war than what we face in the real world. I apologize for being narrow minded last night and you won't expect any issues in game. We could say it was a deployment in Korea or Russia or something haha. Very real possibilities. I guess to iron it all out I would need more backstory in the current world issues our characters would be facing in game.

Forged Fury

First Post
Just putting my $0.02 as a veteran, I don't think JR would necessarily be prejudiced against all Muslims (if we go along with our game reflecting RL pretty closely, aside from the goblins and stuff). If he's a Ranger, he likely worked on occasion with Army SF elements who occasionally work alongside indigenous forces. As such, he has probably had some good experiences with allied Muslim forces. Given his combat experience, he very well could have some degree of prejudice, but it might be a little more focused. At least that was my experience... then again, I was pretty well aware of the social conditioning used to prepare folks to kill other folks. Dehumanizing is the first step in that process.

T-Dawg doesn't really seem to fit that mold, although JR could certainly have doubts about him.

Last edited:

Remove ads