CB's Grim Frequencies AP OOC -- COMPLETE

Shayuri

First Post
It's a good point about converting characters. That said, d20 Modern's character classes are pretty generic, so most of the flavor of our characters is not contained in the mechanical structure of them I feel like. Like, the ability to use her Int bonus in an attack, or make a wacky plan that gives allies some bonuses is really in-flavor for Death Otter, but they're not things that I was thinking of in connection with her before I started looking at d20 Modern. All I knew going in was that I'd want the Intelligence focused class. From there I looked for the options that seemed to suit her best.

I could simply repeat the process with 5e and come up with another Death Otter that, while different from this one in terms of rules, is equally valid a translation of my mental template.

The only stumbling block I'd have is that I don't see Otter starting out as a wizard, which means I'd have to multiclass, which has some consequences in terms of game mechanics. But I'd be willing to do it anyway, I think. :)

Hold tight, guys. I want [MENTION=6763059]Rubberneck[/MENTION] and [MENTION=12430]gribble[/MENTION] to weigh in. This isn't a change I'd make lightly or without unanimity.

Shayuri

First Post
Heehee, no worries. I'm not emotionally investing. It's just a fun thought exercise at this point for me. :)

D0 would definitely be an Arcane Trickster rogue for 4 levels, then swap to wizard. That means she loses 2 caster levels, but has normal feat progression, which is nice...

gribble

Explorer
I think I'd prefer to stick with d20 Modern, for a couple of reasons. First, I think the characters would lose a bit in the translation. Although mechanically barbarian would be the best fit for T-dawg... (almost perfect really)... the class name has connotations that don't really fit in my head with how I see the character. Second, I'm already playing in a couple of 5e games in real life, and I like the variety.
:)

That's a wrap, then. Sounds like we're split about evenly down the middle, with none of us leaning one way or the other particularly hard, so we haven't the passionate unanimity that would mandate a switch to 5e. We'll stick with d20 Modern.

If someone gets a wild hair about switching later on, feel free to re-open this discussion. I'm happy to entertain ya'll's interests, whatever they may be. Who knows, maybe WotC will prove me wrong and start cranking out Modern support material. If that happens, I will certainly be interested in checking out their offerings.

A 5e version? Sure. I'd be interested to see what Otter looks like in 5e. I nearly called for everyone to do that and then reconvene later in the week for further discussion, but decided to let sleeping dogs lie. The door is open, but I'm not going to push one way or the other. We have a good game as is.

Remove ads