• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CB's Grim Frequencies AP OOC -- COMPLETE

Shayuri

First Post
And here she is! I backtracked from Arcane Trickster. For one, their levels are only counted as 1/3 towards overall caster level for slot purposes, not 1/2. For another I don't want to be a 5th level 'spellcaster' that only has 1st level spells. :)

One level of rogue to represent the early game when she was a mundane hacker, then the rest is wizard with the Technomancer tradition. Since she was a hacker before a technomancer, and a rogue, the bonus proficiencies the tradition gives in sidearms and hacking tools are wasted...she already had those. But a spell-iPad is pretty cool! And they get some nice benefits later on.

I invented a new specialization of the Criminal background called Hacker. It just swaps Stealth for Investigation, and swaps Hacker's Tools for Thief's Tools proficiency. Otherwise it's identical.

Death Otter retains her uncanny ability to shoot for the weak spot with Sneak Attack and the 5e Technomancy spells are really REALLY cool, and spot-on for my inner concept for Otter. Right down to creating a 'ghost' copy of her own mind inside a computer and unleashing it to wreak havoc as a cover for her own nefarious doings. :)

She is weaker in direct combat than I'd normally make a mage, with just Shocking Grasp, Magic Missile, and Sleep to take down opposition. This is partly because in combat she'd just as often use a gun. With her good Dex and Sneak Attack ability, she'll do more damage more consistently with a pistol than with a cantrip.

D3@tH 0Tt3R
Human Rogue 1 / Wizard 4

Str 08
Dex 16
Con 10
Int 18
Wis 13
Cha 12

HP 4d6+8
AC 13
Prof Bonus +3
Init +3

Race
Human
+1 to Dex and Int
Bonus feat
Bonus skill training

Background
Criminal (Hacker)
Skills: Deception, Investigation
Tools: Hacker's Tools
Feature: Criminal Contact
Personality:
Personality:
Ideal:
Bond:
Flaw:

Trained Skills
Insight, Intimidation, Perception, Sleight of Hand, Deception, Investigation, Arcana

[b[Feats[/b]
B - Keen Mind or Observant
4 - Intelligence boost

Class
Rogue
- Proficiencies: Simple Weapons, Sidearms, Light Armor, Dex and Int saves, Thief's Tools
- Expertise: Deception, Hacker's Tools
- Sneak Attack 1d6
- Thieves Cant

Wizard
- Arcane Recovery
- Arcane Tradition: Technomancy
* Proficiency in Hacker's Tools and Sidearms
* Technological Savant (store spells in computer for half cost of spellbook)

Spellcasting (Base DC 15)
Cantrips
Mage Hand, Message, Shocking Grasp, Light

Slots
1 - 4, 2 - 3

Prepared (8)
1st - Mage Armor, Shield, Magic Missile, Remote Access
2nd - Arcane Hacking, Alter Self, Misty Step, Suggestion

Known
1st - Infallible Relay, Remote Access, Mage Armor, Shield, Magic Missile, Detect Magic, Identify, Sleep
2nd - Arcane Hacking, Alter Self, Misty Step, Suggestion

That's pretty nifty. What are her hacker tools? The crunk we just bought at BestBuy and/or stuff Marks requisitioned for her, or something else more portable? The spell iPad has me smiling. I wonder if there are spells in the Shadowrun core rulebook we could pilfer and adapt.

Shayuri

First Post
Hacker's Tools are explained in the Modern Magic supplement, and their precise nature is officially a bit abstract. I'd say in D0's case, it's her laptop from Best Buy, plus the addition of legal and illegal software and hardware to make it better at what it does, and more specialized in application than your usual store-bought machine.

Shadowrun spells could probably be adapted 'in spirit' though the mechanics would typically have to be completely revised. Moreover, I don't think there's a lot of 'tech magic' in Shadowrun. The conceit of that RPG is that technology and magic are kind of balanced opposing concepts.

I will say, comparing 5e Death Otter to d20 Modern Death Otter, that the 5e version is probably more dangerous and more 'capable,' especially in combat. The d20 Modern version is probably more 'realistic' in terms of her abilities and progression.

Forged Fury

First Post
There's a handful of tech spells in the Shadowrun 5e supplement Street Grimoire, mostly impacting the Noise and limit concepts of that game. Unsurprisingly, people complained about it. It's Shadowrun after all.

My router at home seems to have crapped out. It's either that or we're having synch issues. The customer service guy I talked to this evening was very nice but could not resolve the issue remotely. The company has put in a ticket for tech to come out here, but the earliest appointment is September 22. I'll post when I can from work (but tomorrow and Friday are my busy days each week), and maaaaaybe will hotspot my smartphone from time to time for home access, but it's expensive to go through the phone rather than through the unlimited access we get normally from our ISP. Thanks for being patient guys.

Looks like we still need a post for Otter and J.R. for Round 4. I'll check back tomorrow evening; sorry, I know that's not ideal, during combat rounds, but I can't realistically get to a combat post before then given my lack of Internet at home and my Thursday work schedule. Bear with me.

gribble

Explorer
Yeah, all good. My weekend is coming up, and I'll probably be fairly sluggish for the next 48 hours or so as I'm moving house.

Last edited:

Remove ads