• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[CC3/DD3] Fun with Sheet Effects and Bitmap Fills

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I've been playing around with the sheet effects in Campaign Cartographer 3/Dungeon Designer 3 again recently and thought I'd share some images.

This is a quick mockup of a castle, using bitmap fills and sheet effects on the left and traditional "old school" mapping on the right. I made the "scientific" graph paper using sheet effects as well:

dsample3.jpg

Here's a dungeon style I'm experimenting with, plus some more experimentation with the graph paper look. I made the dungeon floor bitmap fill style from an image I found at Will's Hand Made Dungeon Floorplans and adjusted in GIMP. I plan on recoloring that image in GIMP next for variations on this style:

dsample1.jpg

Here's a dungeon inspired by the maps found in Expedition to Undermountain. I really didn't like that map style at all (especially compared to the original 2e Undermountain boxed set maps which I love), but like a train wreck, I just can't seem to look away... :)

3Edungeon.jpg

And with that, I should probably get back to work on that 2e Undermountain map style I've been developing.

Last edited:

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
jaerdaph said:
Here's a dungeon style I'm experimenting with, plus some more experimentation with the graph paper look. I made the dungeon floor bitmap fill style from an image I found at Will's Hand Made Dungeon Floorplans and adjusted in GIMP. I plan on recoloring that image in GIMP next for variations on this style:

Here's a couple more examples after I recolored the dungeon floor image from above in GIMP:

dsample1a.jpg

dsample1b.jpg

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
jaerdaph said:
Here's a dungeon inspired by the maps found in Expedition to Undermountain. I really didn't like that map style at all (especially compared to the original 2e Undermountain boxed set maps which I love), but like a train wreck, I just can't seem to look away... :)

And here's another take on that same map with different bitmap fills:

3Edungeon1.jpg

Last edited:

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Pyrandon said:
Jaerdaph, you are so cool. :)

I just wish I could *focus* on one project and follow through! :)

I'm like a kid in a candy store with all the cool new features in CC3. The monthly subscription to the Cartographers Annual doesn't help me stay focused either. I'm very fickle and flighty with my interests lately.

I forgot to mention this - the dungeon map above is based on the room layout in this one at WotC:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mapofweek/1102_Dungeon1_hkjes.jpg

Also, all the effects are being done in CC3 alone. Currently I only use GIMP or Fireworks for pre-work to resize, crop or convert to PNG any images I want to use in CC3 as bitmaps, or to resize or to convert to JPG any PNG map images I export from CC3. So, no post work outside of CC3 for effects. :)

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Here's another level in that 3e Undermountain style, this time featuring caverns. Today I played around with the commands fractal path, explode, line to path, combine path, path to poly and multipoly to make this.

3Edungeon2.jpg

Remove ads