D&D General Celestial Dragon Lore

Chaosmancer

Legend
To get somewhat specific, I'm wondering if there is a celestial equivalent to the Abishai?

I've been mucking about with the Dragon Lore for a long time, and I like having Bahamut and Tiamat as a sort of Yin and Yang, the Abishai are the fiendish servants of Tiamat... but did Bahamut ever get a Celestial counterpart to them? I've done some cursory research and found nothing so far, but I know there is far more hidden in the depths of DnD lore than I can find casually looking.

And, if you don't know of anything like this... how would you go about creating them? Other than just taking Abishai and color/element swapping them.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I use the dragonborn race as the template for Bahamut's servants. sometime I slap some celestial flavor on them, or add abilities until they are equally as powerful as abishai, or solars etc.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I think what I'd probably do is look at their role. All of the 5e abishai kind of have a role, black is an assassin, blue a wizard, green a mind controller, white a skirmisher (maybe?), and red a brute.

I can't recall much about the celestial dragons but maybe if you look at what they seemed to excel at, you'll find a similar role that can be assigned to them to help build around.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I think what I'd probably do is look at their role. All of the 5e abishai kind of have a role, black is an assassin, blue a wizard, green a mind controller, white a skirmisher (maybe?), and red a brute.

I can't recall much about the celestial dragons but maybe if you look at what they seemed to excel at, you'll find a similar role that can be assigned to them to help build around.

So, something like a Healer (Gold), a diplomat (Copper), a knight (Silver)... maybe do Brass like a low-level messenger or Anti-Rogue and Bronze as a mage?

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
So, something like a Healer (Gold), a diplomat (Copper), a knight (Silver)... maybe do Brass like a low-level messenger or Anti-Rogue and Bronze as a mage?
Sounds good to me. I suggest Avenger (in the 4e style--divine "internal police"), and yeah, Bronze as a sacred-arcana type.

Ironically, that makes for a pretty solid Solar party in Exalted...

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Yep, I think that would work well.

I also realised that I thought you were talking about the celestial dragons from oriental adventures. But for the metallics, those sound good.

Chaosmancer

Legend
You could always model them by converting the Draconal from Pathfinder 1st edition to 5e D&D. Agathion, Draconal – d20PFSRD

I don't know if I would want to convert them directly. Not only does that seem like an incredibly powerful creature, and I would want these to scale just like the Abishai, but I have a hard time with complex statblocks like that from 3.5 and PF. Still, I do like the idea of giving one of them or maybe two of them a paladin like aura, like what that Draconal has.

That could be interesting for the avenger/Anti-Rogue, give them a perception aura like from the Unicorn or Hawk spirits the druid has.

Remove ads