• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Celestial Mithral plate armor - ?

HEL Pit Fiend

First Post
The question is, does the "Celestial" improvement on armor stack with Mithral as far as the "max dexterity bonus", "arcane failure chance", and the armor weight class benefits (i.e. would a Celestial Mithral plate armor be treated as "light")?

Also, in 3.5, the authors have spelled out the costs for many armor enhancements, but no cost for the "Celestial" enhancement. Any official rules on this?

Arc

First Post
Sounds good to me. Celestial makes no mention of a specific material, but rather an enchantment on the armor, so mithril sounds good.

geezerjoe

First Post
Celestial isn't an enhancement ... it's a specific armor. I'd think that to allow the addtion of celestial armor with mithral materials would be a house rule.

This of course is all just an opinion.

l8r

Joe2Old

Spatzimaus

First Post
"Celestial" is not a separate enchantment. You can't just stick it on whatever item type you want; it's a distinct combination of abilities for a set price. The DM is free to make up his own new items, of course, and I've converted most of those enchantments into the usual +X pricing for my own campaign, but it's not standard.

Looking at its stats and cost, I'd assume it's already a Mithral item with a bit more enchantment, in the same way that Dwarven Plate and Elven Chain are already made of Mithral. So no, I wouldn't let you stack the two together.

It'd also be a TERRIBLE idea to let Celestial and Mithral stack from a balance point of view. Take the existing Celestial chainmail: by adding Mithral you'd have something with only a 5% arcane failure rate and no Armor Check Penalty (so no need for an armor Feat). Every caster would wear it. And if you let it work on any type of armor, a Celestial Mithral Breastplate wouldn't have any Arcane Failure; every high-level caster would wear one.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Well, there is no rule to modify specific armour and weapons. And IMHO it is dangerous to allow it.

And, isn't celestial armour made of gold or silver?

HEL Pit Fiend

First Post
Spatzimaus said:
"Celestial" is not a separate enchantment. You can't just stick it on whatever item type you want...

Why not?

Spatzimaus said:
Looking at its stats and cost, I'd assume it's already a Mithral item with a bit more enchantment...

What's your logic behind that?

Spatzimaus said:
...I'd assume it's already a Mithral item with a bit more enchantment, in the same way that Dwarven Plate and Elven Chain are already made of Mithral. So no, I wouldn't let you stack the two together.

Dwarven Plate and Elven chain are just flavorful names for any "ordinary" Mithral Plate and Mithral Chain. For example, you can take any suit of chainmail and throw mithral on it and you will have the same stats, weight, cost etc. as Elvin Chain, they are the same.

Also, I would assume the opposite, that Celestial Armor (DMG pg 182) is NOT made of mithral, it's not listed as such. Dwarven Plate and Elvin Chain list mithral in their descriptions and so you know they are.

Last edited:

Remove ads