• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Censure of Pursuit - when does it trigger?

Samir

Explorer
Censure of Pursuit: If your oath of enmity target
moves away from you willingly, you gain a bonus
to damage rolls against the target equal to 2 + your
Dexterity modifier until the end of your next turn.
The bonus increases to 4 + your Dexterity modifier
at 11th level and 6 + your Dexterity modifier at
21st level.
The wording on this is kind of vague, so:

1) Does "moves away from you willingly" include shifting?

2) There doesn't seem to be any "once per turn" or "once per round" on this, so how often does it trigger? Does it trigger on each move action? On each square moved?

If your oath starts a square away from you, and takes two move actions away from you with a speed of six, how many times does it trigger, once, twice or more?

Dalzig

First Post
1) "Move" means any form of movement. Walking is the normal type of movement. Shifting is also a type of movement.

2) I would say that you the bonus doesn't stack with itself, so it doesn't matter when it triggers. If the target attempts to get away from you, you get the bonus stated. Might not be RAW, but oh well.

Samir

Explorer
1) "Move" means any form of movement. Walking is the normal type of movement. Shifting is also a type of movement.
That's what I figured, thanks.

I would say that you the bonus doesn't stack with itself, so it doesn't matter when it triggers. If the target attempts to get away from you, you get the bonus stated. Might not be RAW, but oh well.
I'd agree with you, but it's an untyped bonus to damage rolls. Don't untyped bonuses stack?

Samir

Explorer
Normally, yes, but untyped bonuses from the same source (same as this case) do not stack.
Makes sense, but is there a source for this?

EDIT: The reason I ask is because I'm looking at the PHB bonuses sidebar and I'm not seeing anything explicitly to that effect.

Attack rolls, damage rolls, defenses, skill checks, and ability checks are often modified by bonuses and penalties.

Bonuses: There’s one important rule for bonuses: Don’t add together bonuses of the same type to the same roll or score. If you have two bonuses of the same type that apply to the same roll or score, use the higher bonus.

An armor bonus is granted by your armor. The bonus applies as long as you wear the armor.

An enhancement bonus augments your attack rolls and damage rolls or your defenses. You gain an enhancement bonus to AC when wearing magic armor, an enhancement bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls when wielding a magic weapon or implement, and an enhancement bonus to Fortitude, Reflex, and Will when wearing a magic item that occupies the neck item slot (see page 249). You can benefit from a magic weapon, magic armor, and a magic cloak at the same time, since their enhancement bonuses add to different rolls or scores.

A feat bonus is granted by a feat. The bonus applies as long as you have the feat.

An item bonus is granted by certain magic items. The bonus applies as long as you wear the item.

A power bonus derives from a power or a class feature. Power bonuses are usually temporary or situational.

The proficiency bonus gained from proficiency with a weapon applies to attack rolls made using that weapon. You gain the proficiency bonus only when using powers that have the weapon keyword.

A racial bonus is granted by your race. An elf ’s Group Awareness trait, for example, grants non-elf allies within 5 squares a +1 racial bonus to Perception checks.

A shield bonus is granted by your shield. Shield bonuses apply to AC and Reflex defense. Powers, feats, or magic items might provide a shield bonus; these typically help only characters who aren’t using shields.

Some bonuses are untyped (“a +2 bonus”). Most of these are situational and add together with other bonus you have, including other untyped bonuses.

Penalties: Unlike bonuses, penalties don’t have types. Penalties add together, unless they’re from the same power. If two monsters attack you with the same power and each causes you to take a penalty to a particular roll or score, you don’t add the penalties together; you take the worst penalty.

A penalty might be effectively canceled by a bonus and vice versa. If you gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls and take a –2 penalty to attack rolls at the same time, you end up with a +0 modifier.

Last edited:

Madred

First Post
it helps to use overwhelming strike if you have some type of defenders in your team.

with swordmage: he attacks + mark, I attack, pull the target away from him. target have 2 choices: hit you and you are warded by the shielding swordmage, or shift towards the swordmage to attack him and guess what, you have your censure bonus for your next attack.

rinse and repeat.

you can use that technique with paladins too, either the target wounds or you get censure bonus. (less good, but still fun).
I also use it when my barbarian friend is doing his avalanche strike, this way i protect him from getting hit at -4ac, unless the enemy allows my censure to kick in.

so, yeah, overwhelming strike is a good way to help you with that.
maybe there are other ways too. the avenger is not an easy class to play btw.

teachamath

First Post
I play with multiple dm's in home campaigns and LFR at a hobby shop. None do the moving away. The fighters don't help due to slow movement and they stop at the first opponent they see rather than move on. I have tried the overwhelming strike ideas but without help that won't get the dm to bite. Heck I have done 70+ damage with two hits in a row and not had the enemy move away. I guess I am controlling my target by not having it attack someone else but I find it too much. Another problem I run into is dm interpretation of moving away. They like to say that a shift where the opponent stays one square away but goes sideways does not count as away.

x= open space, o= opponent, and m= me

xox
xmx

oxx
xmx is not considered moving away because it is only one square. I disagree repeatedly but to no avail.

Madred

First Post
They like to say that a shift where the opponent stays one square away but goes sideways does not count as away.

x= open space, o= opponent, and m= me

xox
xmx

oxx
xmx is not considered moving away because it is only one square. I disagree repeatedly but to no avail.

your DM is right. to move away he have to get out of your 'close burst 1' reach.

anyhow! if the target doesn't move, you have to make it for the better. (swordmage warding, paladin divine challenge...)
actually, these are good exchanges for not getting your extra dmg !
avengers are 'strikers/controllers(in a defenderish kind of way i suppose)'. Make use of your high AC and good HPs.

Last edited:

Remove ads