Centaur-kins

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
that is weird, but the elephant/stone giant definitely has promise. :)

just so i can say i didn't lie to you all, i will chose the first thing to work on while it is still "today". ;) i really do like that doppleganger/displacer... more on that tomorrow! hahahaha...

EldonG

First Post
I was recently looking at the Tauric template, and came up with a few odd ones...my favorites being a Dwoar (Dwarf-Boar) and a lizardfolk-giant gator tauric...fun, huh?

Can you imagine how friggin' *stubborn* the Dwoar would be?

There are the Nagas in OA, I forget their exact names, half human, half snake, essentially.

I'm curious about the Zebrataurs, though. Are there any statistical differences? They're just stripes. Cool concept, though. I think there were some in Fantasia, or something.

Filby

First Post
DonaldRumsfeldsTofu said:
There are the Nagas in OA, I forget their exact names, half human, half snake, essentially.

I'm curious about the Zebrataurs, though. Are there any statistical differences? They're just stripes. Cool concept, though. I think there were some in Fantasia, or something.

Shinomen nagas.

And yeah, that would be Chiron from The Neverending Story. In the book he was a "zebra centaur".

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
It’s genius, because these monsters are even on the same page. ;)

Ok, here it is, templated up…

(Doppelganger/Displacer Beast – for lack of a better name at the moment)
Large Monstrous Humanoid (Shapechanger)
Hit Dice: 10d8+30 (75 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 40 ft (8 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +5 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+18
Attack: Tentacle +13 melee (1d6+4)
Full Attack: 2 tentacles +13 melee (1d6+4) and slam +8 melee (1d6+2)
Space/Reach: 10 ft/5 ft (10 ft with tentacles)
Special Attacks: Detect thoughts
Special Qualities: Change shape, darkvision 60 ft, displacement, immunity to sleep and charm effects, resistance to ranged attacks
Saves: Fort +6 Ref +9 Will +9
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 14, Cha 13
Skills: 39 (favors: Bluff, Diplomacy, Disguise, Hide, Intimidate, Listen, Move Silently, Sense Motive, Spot) (-4 Hide for size, racial bonuses: +8 Hide for Displacement, +4 Bluff and Disguise)
Feats: 4 (favors: Alertness, Dodge, Great Fortitude, Stealthy)

Environment: Temperate hills?
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: X
Treasure: X
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: 11-20 HD (Large); 21-30 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: +X

If you look closely, I didn’t follow the template rules exactly. That’s because we’re breakin’ the law, breakin’ the law. :D

Time to make this guy interesting – more than just a templated creature. We can monkey around with it any which way… change the ability scores, natural armor, SA/SQ… discuss! :)

Personally, I like the HD as-is. This guy can be a badass, and it shows. The “marriage” of the two creatures gives us something pretty tough.

Shade

Monster Junkie
One of the first homebrew monsters I ever made way back in the day was a "beholdalisk", a basilisk with a beholder head. ;)

A few others that already exist:
-Bariaur (human/ram)
-Demon, Armanite (demon/horse)
-Stinger (human/scorpion)

Some more "recipes":
-Storm giant/behir
-Solar (or any angel)/griffon
-Osyluth/necrophidius
-Xill/centipede
-Fire giant/nightmare
-Frost giant/frost worm
-Djinn/arrowhawk
-Marid/tojanida
-Mind flayer/carrion crawler
-Bugbear/ankheg

Shade

Monster Junkie
As for the doppelterror, I'd adjust its change shape ability as follows.

Change Shape (Su): A doppelganger/displacer beast can assume the shape of any tauric creature composed of the head and upper torso of a Small or Medium humanoid, and the legs and lower body of a Large animal or vermin. In tauric form, the doppelganger loses its natural attacks, but gains those of its new form. A doppelganger/displacer beast can remain in its tauric form until it chooses to assume a new one. A change in form cannot be dispelled, but a doppelganger/displacer beast reverts to its natural form when killed. A true seeing spell or ability reveals its natural form.

Remove ads