Centaur-kins

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Arken said:
I think it would be nice (even though it isn't keyed to creature type) if it could shapechange into any quadraped creature.

I guess this might cause problems with having acess to dragons and things though.

actually, that's a great idea. and i don't see why having a dragon form would be a bad thing - the only thing it would really gain from that change would be the dragon's claw/bite/tail slap/wing attack routine (without the strength bonus), and the ability to fly. it would also get the crush and tail sweep attacks, but only if we don't set a size cap.

i'm all for it being "all quadrupeds."

now, i'm assuming we'll want to keep all the SA's and SQ's of both creatures, since they are kind of keyed-into what they are and what they do. are there any you think we should add? blindsight/blindsense? gaze attack? flight? improved grab/constrict with tentacles? pounce/rake? scent? DR? SR? fast heal or regen? telepathy? trample?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I like the quadruped thingee, too. Yes to keeping all the SA/SQs of the base creatures.

Blindsight would be cool, and DR X/silver. I'm envisioning them as masters of confusion and deceit. Perhaps even more abilities to sow confusion on the battlefield? Like mirror image as a spell-like ability, and maybe have the tentacles deliver confusion/insanity? Or the confusion gaze of an umber hulk?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
well, saying this:
Change Shape (Su): A doppelganger/displacer beast can assume the shape of any tauric creature composed of the head and upper torso of a Small or Medium humanoid, and the legs and lower body of a Large animal or vermin. In tauric form, the doppelganger loses its natural attacks, but gains those of its new form. A doppelganger/displacer beast can remain in its tauric form until it chooses to assume a new one. A change in form cannot be dispelled, but a doppelganger/displacer beast reverts to its natural form when killed. A true seeing spell or ability reveals its natural form.

is a bit trickier than this: :)
Change Shape (Su): A doppelganger/displacer beast can assume the shape of any quadruped (of Medium or Large size??). In quadruped form, the doppelganger loses its natural attacks, but gains those of its new form. A doppelganger/displacer beast can remain in its quadruped form until it chooses to assume a new one. A change in form cannot be dispelled, but a doppelganger/displacer beast reverts to its natural form when killed. A true seeing spell or ability reveals its natural form.

and your ideas are all good, it's a matter of picking which ones will add to the creature without making it too over the top. ;) keep in mind, the hit dice are up to 10, so we should plan accordingly! :)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
OK, yes to blindsight and DR, yes to confusion from tentacle attacks. I also gave them scent. I’m thinking of making them more bestial in appearance. Additionally, I’m thinking either a few spell-likes, or a pounce/rake.

This creature has the lower body of a sleek, black panther with a pair of tentacles sprouting from where its shoulders would be. Where its neck should be, instead is a muscular humanoid torso, mostly featureless except for its eyes, but covered in the same blue-black fur.

Confusion (Sp): Any creature hit by a X’s tentacle attack must roll a successful Will save (DC 16) or be affected by confusion (Caster level 10?). The save DC is Charisma-based.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
OK, yes to blindsight and DR, yes to confusion from tentacle attacks. I also gave them scent. I’m thinking of making them more bestial in appearance. Additionally, I’m thinking either a few spell-likes, or a pounce/rake.

This creature has the lower body of a sleek, black panther with a pair of tentacles sprouting from where its shoulders would be. Where its neck should be, instead is a muscular humanoid torso, mostly featureless except for its eyes, but covered in the same blue-black fur.

Confusion (Sp): Any creature hit by a X’s tentacle attack must roll a successful Will save (DC 16) or be affected by confusion (Caster level 10?). The save DC is Charisma-based.
Yes to more bestial appearance, yes to spell-likes and/or pounce/rake.

Excellent description!

Caster level 10 should be sufficient.

Nellisir

Hero
I was actually thinking about tauric creatures myself a little while ago, and came up with this:

VOUR
Large Monstrous Humanoid (Cold)
Hit Dice: 12d8+48 ( 102 hp)
Magic Rating: 3
Initiative: +1 (+1 dexterity)
Speed: 40 ft (8 squares), climb 30 ft., swim 60 ft.
AC: 22 (-1 size, +1 dexterity, +12 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 21
BAB/Grapple: +12/+28
Attack: Claw +19 melee (1d8+8)
Full Attack: 4 claws +19 melee (1d8+8) and bite +14 melee (1d6+4)
Attack Score: 4 claws 30 melee and bite 25 melee
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab, rend 2d8+12
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., immunity to cold, low-light vision, scent, vulnerability to fire.
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +5, Will +9
Save Scores: Fort 23, Ref 16, Will 20
Abilities: Str 27, Dex 13, Con 19, Int 6, Wis 12, Chr 12
Skills: Climb +16, Hide +0*, Listen +7, Spot +7, Survival +5, Swim +16
Feats: Alertness, Endurance, Improved Grapple, Run, Track
Environment: Any cold
Frequency : Rare
Organization: Solitary, hunting party (2-4), tribe (6-24)
CR/XP: 8 / 4,800
Treasure: Standard
Alignment : Usually neutral evil
Advancement: 13 - 14 HD (Large); 15-24 HD (Huge)
LA

Vour are an unholy combination of carnivorous ape and polar bear. They have the lower body and four legs of a polar bear, and the torso, arms, and head of a great white ape.
Vour subsist solely on a diet of frozen meat. After making a kill, they leave the body exposed until it is frozen solid. If the vour is not ravenous, it will often play with intelligent prey, keeping it from shelter or aid until it freezes to death.
Vour speak Common and Fiendish. They can also speak with any creature with the Cold subtype.

COMBAT
Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a vour must hit with a claw attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.
Rend (Ex): A vour that hits with two or more claw attacks latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an extra 2d8+12 points of damage.
Skills: A vour has a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened. A vour has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.
*A vour’s white pelt bestows a +8 racial bonus on hide checks in snowy areas.

The CR might be a little low -- I've not playslaught...er, playTESTED it against a group yet.
I've also got the shellikibue, which is a sprite/snail -- not quite so exciting to read. :)

Cheers,
Nell.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Ferret said:
Talk about being slapped silly.

LOL! Heheh…

Ok, I’ve decided on no pounce/rake, and just a few spell-likes (they have a lot of stuff already).
Maybe…

Mirror image as suggested
Charm monster 3/day? Or 1/day.
Fear or Cause fear?
Suggestion?
Any other ideas?

And I’ve got a name for it:
Copycat. :D heh, well, not really…

Remove ads