• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Central Casting: Heroes of Legend--is there a pdf out there now like it

NarlethDrider

First Post
product info for Central Casting: Heroes of Legend
"Are your heroes flat, lusterless characters with no sense of history or depth of personality? With Central Casting: Heroes of Legend, characters take on lives of their own. They gain families, friends, enemies, personalities, detailed past histories, and most importantly - gain motivations for life and adventuring!
Central Casting is a detailed, stand-alone system of tables, charts, and roleplay guidelines for creating thoroughly individualized, involved and invigorating backgrounds for both player characters and non-player characters."

Is there currently a product out there that is like it/this?

Aus_Snow

First Post
There's a Fuzion lifepath floating around somewhere. It's much simpler than Central Castings' offerings (of which I have all three, for what they're worth :\) - quite a lot like Cyberpunk's lifepath, but sorta generic. Also, there's this for Savage Worlds (fantasy.) Don't know what it's like. Someone from RPGnet is working on 'Interlock Unlimited', which contains a lifepath for all genres, or will at some stage. Burning Wheel has a lifepath in it, I hear. Artesia definitely does (and it's based on Fuzion, in fact.)

Oh, and there's the. . . Hero Builder's Guidebook, for 3.0. . .

Thanael

Explorer
Check out this thread: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=214131
for further links.

Edit: Copying my links over:

For D&D i sometimes use the Character Background tables from Unearthed Arcana.

Some googling and reading Enworld's
Lifepath thread1
Lifepath thread2

...revealed these:
Character Lifepath on dandwiki
Atomik Lifepath pdf
Lifepath (very interesting, the navigation is a bit strange but this is the most complex system i have found yet, aside from Central Casting.)

There's also the fairly recent Background Noise pdf by Second Rat Games

Last edited:

Ayrk

First Post
NarlethDrider said:
product info for Central Casting: Heroes of Legend
"Are your heroes flat, lusterless characters with no sense of history or depth of personality? With Central Casting: Heroes of Legend, characters take on lives of their own. They gain families, friends, enemies, personalities, detailed past histories, and most importantly - gain motivations for life and adventuring!
Central Casting is a detailed, stand-alone system of tables, charts, and roleplay guidelines for creating thoroughly individualized, involved and invigorating backgrounds for both player characters and non-player characters."

Is there currently a product out there that is like it/this?

I'm glad you asked this question, because we just put out a product exactly like this a couple of weeks ago.

Check out Background Noise.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Good catch there, with the dandwiki one. :) I'd forgotten about it for a while. Glad it's back on the radar (i.e., snaffled.)

Background Noise eh? Hm. . . I might see what that's like, too.

Remove ads