• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ceramic DM -- Fall '06 ** yangnome wins! **

yangnome

First Post
I'm starting to knock around ideas. Last year I hit the 50k mark in 10 days and was at 75k and complete by the end of hte month. After reviewing it, I added another chapter, so it wound up at about 78k. I don't know if I'll be as quick this year, but I do want to get somethign together.

I recently heard a good idea for outlining--use powerpoint if you have it. I'm not much for making preparations prior to writing, but the idea certainly has merit.

Paka

Explorer
In the FAQ it says:

The judges then read the stories and adventures, compare them against each other and decide which contestant advances to the next round.

Adventures?

Every example I have read has been a short story. Why does it say adventure in the FAQ?

Holdover from the old days. Ceramic DM was originally a spin-off of IronDM, which is an adventure writing competition. It then evolved into a purely fiction-writing contest.

maxfieldjadenfox

First Post
yangnome said:
I'm starting to knock around ideas. Last year I hit the 50k mark in 10 days and was at 75k and complete by the end of hte month. After reviewing it, I added another chapter, so it wound up at about 78k. I don't know if I'll be as quick this year, but I do want to get somethign together.

I recently heard a good idea for outlining--use powerpoint if you have it. I'm not much for making preparations prior to writing, but the idea certainly has merit.

Last year I didn't even make 10K. Of course my life completely fell apart around that time, which may be why... I may give it a shot againt this year, but it will be pretty demoralizing if I don't finish... An outline is a good idea. I never do them, but it is a good idea, none the less.

Berandor

lunatic
Once again, the arena fills with fresh blood for the reaping. Some sport the skin of a newborn baby, while others show the marks of vicious defeats and hair's-breadth survivals. Yet all of them look straight ahead, where the mighty Wall of Triumph and Despair (tm) looms. At the base of the wall is a list of all who fell in the service of the quill, where most of these hopeful will end up. Above it is where they aspire to: the small list of those who stood their ground and left the arena victorious, splattered with ink and scarred for life. Above still are the judges's seats.

There are four seats up there, one in the background and, as of yet, unoccupied. Three seats stand right at the edge of the wall, so the judges are able to observe every scene that may unfold, to discern every trick a competitor will levy against his or her opponent. Three judges have taken their seats: In the center, Rodrigo Istalindir, he who was robbed of his trophy by vicious thieves. To his right, Herreman the Wise, already scanning the crowd for a tasty sacrifice to Lady Death. To his left, two-time champion Berandor, who has taken up nomadic life, now almost a stranger to the city.

Eleven competitors have assembled so far. In his seat, Berandor leans forward with eager and nostalgic eyes, relishing in the anxiety and hope that fills the air. It has been a long time since he claimed his trophies, and except for a scar that aches before it rains, right on his index finger where he used to hold the pen, only memories remain of his victories. He has grown complacent since, mixed with the bitterness of the old and the cynicism of those who think themselves superior. Down in the arena, it is a new breed of writers, hungry, almost starving for something he accomplished long ago. And yet he is filled with yearning for the days gone by, and though he knows those days cannot be reclaimed, like an old boxer, he cannot but try.

Berandor steals a glance to his fellow judges, whom he promised to help out. Herreman only smiles, understanding too well, and Rodrigo nods in answer to Berandor's silent question. Berandor shakes their hands, and as his eyes meet Rodrigo's, the chief judge snarks,

"Don't think we'll treat you any different than the other guys. You enter the arena, you'll likely be carried out."

Without answering, Berandor turns and leaves the balcony, only to reappear without his judge's robe among the contestants, armed with a quill fashioned from a griffon's mane. He completes the dozen, but now one more judge's seat is vacant.

Last edited:

Berandor

lunatic
Oh, and let me just add I plan to be in the competition when my birthday comes around. Fittingly, my birthday is October 6th. :)

Linderel

First Post
Yo. Count me in. One of you recruited me, so I kind of registered here for the sake of this here thing. I was only going to shadow participate, but whaddayaknow, here I am after all.
Be kind to the new blood?

Remove ads