• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cerebremancer experience?

Teneb

Explorer
One of my players is thinking about picking up the Cerebremancer PrC from the XPH. At first blush it looks like it might be a little strong, gaining both spellcasting and psionics levels over 10 levels. Has anyone seen this in play? What are your feelings on its power level?

Infiniti2000

First Post
I'd imagine it would be very similar to mystic theurge. It's great if you create a high level character, but actually playing the character for 20 levels and being behind two spells levels vs. the single classed casters for all that time will be a big price to pay.

In practice, many thing that the mystic theurge is underpowered. You get lots of spells, but you still get the same number of actions as anyone else and your two lower spell levels will be a huge downside.

Soulglow

First Post
Haven't seen it in play, but I assume it would play slightly more powerful than a MT since both spellcasting classes can work off of the same attribute. But since MT is generally considered underpowered for the reason Infiniti2000 gave, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Soulglow said:
Haven't seen it in play, but I assume it would play slightly more powerful than a MT since both spellcasting classes can work off of the same attribute.
Good point. That's a major drawback in MT that is gone from this PrC. There are also differences in the way psionic powers mix with arcane spells that may be more powerful than arcane spells and divine spells.

durza120

First Post
negative plane

Im thinking of transporting my enimies to the negative plane using plane shift, what spells would I need in order to protect myself? I already have a electricity resistance of 30 but my DM says i need somthing esle.

Infiniti2000

First Post
durza120 said:
Im thinking of transporting my enimies to the negative plane using plane shift, what spells would I need in order to protect myself? I already have a electricity resistance of 30 but my DM says i need somthing esle.
Any reason you're vampire-tapping this thread instead starting a new one? ;)

Two things. (1) You don't travel with the creature touched when you plane shift them. (2) Are you sure the negative energy plane exists in your DM's world?

Assuming that the answer to #1 doesn't render your question moot, I suggest looking up information on the negative energy plane. Death ward will protect you from it.

Teneb

Explorer
Back to the topic, do you think removing one of the levels of spellcasting progression (perhaps 4th, making them an 8th level character) work to balance things?

Infiniti2000

First Post
Teneb said:
Back to the topic, do you think removing one of the levels of spellcasting progression (perhaps 4th, making them an 8th level character) work to balance things?
Perhaps, but I'm not convinced it's unbalanced right now. Are y'all playing it up from low level or jumping right in at high level?

Someone

Adventurer
I don´t think it´s unbalanced. I´ve played a mystic theurge and the two attributes are just a small part of the problem. Cerebremencers also can´t apply the same metamagic and item creation feats to both classes: they need empower spell and empower power, while a MT just need empower spell. Also, if he picks the feats he need to make an effective psion (psionic meditation, overchannel) and practiced caster/manifester he won´t have any to choose item creation or useful things like Great Fortitude and Improved Initiative.

If you still have doubts, you could speak with the player, saying that you´ll allow it, but reserve the right to clip a spellcasting level if he turns to be too much powerful.

Soulglow

First Post
A straight Wiz or Psion will beat the living crap out of a Wiz/Psion/Cerebremancer. The Cerebremancer build will only become useful on days with a lot of encounters due to large spells(powers)/day. I warn you, if you nerf the already suboptimal Cerebremancer, you will make baby Jesus cry.

Remove ads