• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chain Fighter Build

the Jester

Legend
Wow, this thread has some good advice for a chain wielder. :)

I agree with the basic suggestions- being large is great if you have a spiked chain, Improved Trip is a must, and I'm gonna come down on the side of getting EWP: Spiked Chain ASAP.

There was a spiked chain wielder imc a couple of years ago (Sith was his name), and he kicked a lot of serious ass. One homebrewed feat I have that he took really accentuated his combat style: Sidestep (trade AoO for an extra 5' step; since revised to 1/round). Another- called Lock-Step- let him follow a 5' step with one of his own if he hadn't moved for a round.

nittanytbone

First Post
The reason I say to wait a bit on the Spiked Chain prof is because it is relatively useless without combat reflexes. Without combat reflexes, you're just as good using a guisarme and saving some money at first level towards better armor. You can wear a spiked gauntlet and wield a guisarme and still threaten nearby spaces.

For a typical build, this is how I'd get into Spiked Chain -- obviously if you're willing to take more fighter levels you can do it a level sooner.

Level 1: Anything you want (Combat Expertise, Imp Trip)
Level 2: Fighter 1 (Combat Reflexes)
Level 3: Anything you want (Exotic Weap Prof, Spiked Chain)

alienvampire

First Post
Prone Attack is essential.

If you fail on your trip attempt, your opponent immediately can attempt to trip you in return. Sure, you could always let go of your weapon, but what fighter in their right mind would do that? So, Prone Attack is the answer.

If you fail your trip attempt, and are subsequently tripped by your opponent, so what? Now, they have no bonus to hit you; you take no penalty to attack from the prone position; and if you successfully hit while prone, you can stand up as a free action!

Wait, this sounds too good to be true...
Prone Attack has Lightning Reflexes as a prerequisite.

Remove ads