• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chain Power vs Chain Spell

Bloodweaver1

First Post
Has anyone else noticed that the feats Chain Power is a bit different than Chain spell?

Refering to the fact the Chain Power requires a power to have the 'target something' description AND deal damge. While the Chain spell only requires to have the 'target something' description.

Have people made a house rule to change this (using the variation that Psionics and Magic are the same) or kinda left it as (stating that Psionics & Magic are completely different)?

What other Metamagic & Metapsionc feats have you noticed that share the same name but yet have different requirements?

-BW

Shard O'Glase

First Post
there should be some change to on of the feats. Chain spells just target reqiurement at least gives an excuse for its incredibly high cost of +3 spell levles. There isn't an excuse for the high PP cost of chain power though.

Just as a minor point of illustration lets look at the only chain spell I know of in the game. Chain lightning, level 6 1d6 a level max 20d6. Now then lets go 3 levels lower to level 3 and lets chain some attack spell that doesn't exist what will it be. Lets see level 6 1d6 per level caped at 10d6. Hey what a great idea, why don't I spend a feat in order to make my spells weaker. Now since the spell version can effect nondamaging spells we can do things like chain greater magic weapon, and maybe a couple of other cool effects to make it sueful.

A chained charm person(or other save or die spell) might not suck, I mean law of averages wise the DM has to screw up a roll sometime so even against a pathetic save Dv like you'll get with chain spell someone will fail the save if there are enough targets.

Remove ads