Chained spell metamagic, how to use it ?

Tyrrell

First Post
Why would you want chained slow? Slow already effects 1 target/level.

Whoops, guess I'll have to reread slow. the base spell must target only a single creature in order to have chain spell feat function.

What levels are mass charm and mass suggestion? (I'm possibility being foolish on those points as well). Of course in my game I don't know those spells and it would take me weeks and thousands of GP in order to learn them.

As far as mass haste/ chained haste the chained spell will effect up to caster level +1 targets. I don't know how many mass haste will do.

Al

First Post
Well, Chained is best for spells that affect one person very badly. Chained Hold Person is an example.
The only problem is the saves go down the pan- not only are you using a lower-level spell, but the 'chains' have their DC reduced by 2. A Charm Person could have a 'secondary DC' of a mere 9 (Chained Ray of Frost could be a 7!) Thus, they are most effective when spells do not have saves e.g. Chained Enervation (very very nasty.)
However, Chain really starts getting seriously bad at the top-levels- and if you have a Rod of Greater Chaining, the fun has just begun. Some fun spells to think about Chaining at top level:
Disintegrate
Flesh to Stone
Any Power Word
Forcecage
Finger of Death
Maze
Polymorph Any Object

James McMurray

First Post
Sacrifice Spell is a 4th level spell that allows the caster to give up other spell slots and convert them to force damage. Each level of spells forgotten (for wizards) or spell slots converted (for sorcerers) becomes 1d8 damage, up to 15d8 or the caster's level. Thus you could cast it at 12th level and give up 4 3rd level slots, a 1st level slot, and a second level slot to create a blast of force that deals 12d8 to one target (reflex save for half).

As written, the spell lasts for one round per elvel and you can continue to blast people by giving up more slots during that time. However, we dropped the duration to instantaneous because otherwise it becomes too nice once you've got 7th level slots and can maximize or chain it.

Doorf

First Post
James McMurray said:
Sacrifice Spell is a 4th level spell that allows the caster to give up other spell slots and convert them to force damage.

Does it has target other then personal?
Do you cast it on self and treat spell you sacrifice as component ?

I mean what happens when you chain it can you+1person/level sacrifice spells to blast others or are you doing 12d6 blast + half damage to 1 creature/level.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
I'm somewhat disapinted with chain spell. The obvious spell it came form is chain lighting but it sucks terrible at chaining damage spells(at a 3 level boost damage caps+1/2 damage wreck this application) and it aint great at the save or dies(penalty +3 levels= one really weak DC). I like it for beneficial spells and for no save attack spells. Fairly cool and effective especially for the sorceres who don't have the slots to learn mass versions of spells, but not the flavor I was looking for when I took this feat.

Personally I think some metamgaic feats are put on this earth just so they are cool with the rods, so these+the craft rod feat can equal some fun.

Remove ads