• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Challenge! I want to convert your concept!

theNater

First Post
D_E said:
Hi, I've got a general 4th ed question, and, well, this looks like a good thread to ask it in.

To wit: Can you make a Martial Striker that uses a Bastard Sword? It seems like all the Rogue powers require light blades, and that all the Ranger powers require dual weilding.

To ask another way: How would you convert a Fighter-Rogue to 4th ed without being required to use a dagger or suchlike?
Rangers have a few powers that work with any weapon, like Disruptive Strike(3) and Attacks on the Run(9).

To convert a fighter/rogue, I'd probably use a fighter or a ranger straight. A fighter using a two-handed weapon can dish out a pretty impressive amount of damage, and there are enough any-weapon ranger powers to eventually fill out your entire power selection with them. You could multiclass a little, if you want to have both the Hunter's Quarry class feature and a wide selection of two-hander attacks.

theNater

First Post
mps42 said:
Pry fairly simple but very newb to 4e.

- I am a bounty hunter, tracking the lawless and, with stealth and guile or with brute force dragging them back to face their judgement. I rely on speed and finesse rather than brute force to accomplish my goals.

in 3e this was a dex ranger with a bit of rogue skills tossed in to get the flavor right. for 4e I was thinking either a Strength rogue with a feat or two to get bigger weapons (3e tool of the trade was a longsword) or a dex fighter with maybe skill focus in streetwise.

Opinions?
I'd really go with the ranger. While the two-weapon fighting powers use strength for the attack bonus, they tend to involve a good amount of maneuvering, whirling, and otherwise showing off your speed and finesse. A high dex is good for AC, reflex defense, and any archery powers you decide to pick up. That covers the brute force side of things.

As for stealth and guile, those are mechanically handled by the Stealth and Bluff skills. Stealth is a class skill for rangers, and you can get Bluff for the cost of a single feat.

D.Shaffer

First Post
theNater said:
This is harder, but I'd use a fighter/ranger. Grab all the powers with the stance keyword, and assign a form to each. By my count this should provide you with some 7 forms(in addition to your base form) by level 30. If you're willing to drop a form or two, you could go fighter/wizard to pick up Disguise Self(6) for those doppleganger moments.
Are you restricting things JUST to the PHB? Because there's the Doppleganger as PC write up in the back of the MM too.

D_E

Explorer
With a feat for proficiency, you can dual wield bastard swords as a ranger

It's really more about the two-hander style than it is about just using a bastard sword. The reason I went bastard sword is that a two-handed sword just seemed like too much sword for the character.

theNater said:
Rangers have a few powers that work with any weapon, like Disruptive Strike(3) and Attacks on the Run(9).

To convert a fighter/rogue, I'd probably use a fighter or a ranger straight. A fighter using a two-handed weapon can dish out a pretty impressive amount of damage, and there are enough any-weapon ranger powers to eventually fill out your entire power selection with them. You could multiclass a little, if you want to have both the Hunter's Quarry class feature and a wide selection of two-hander attacks.

Thanks, theNater!

Dragonbait

Explorer
Here is one, if this is still going on:
Darastrix ux Bahumati. My level 11 NG dragonborn dragonwraught kobold sorcerer 6 (With the dragonblood alternate sorcerer class feature)/Dragonheart Mage 5. His bloodline is a sand dragon. He has been aged to the venerable to gain all the ability score bonuses, and because of his race, he suffers no penalties. He was built with the 32 point buy. His Strength is abysmal (6, I think), but his Charissma is 24 (with the help of a Cloack of Charisma +4). He has wings from the dragonborn racial traits, and can breath fire. He went through the lesser and greater rituals and so has Identify as a spell-like ability 3/day (for now)

He'd focus on Diplomacy and Arcana, and with his racial feats in 3ed, he has something like a +22 (?) in knowledge Arcana, and +20 in Diplomacy.

Do you need to know more?

Oh, and I'm not afraid to house rule stuff. I want to see how close to the original product I can get.

katahn

First Post
Dragonbait said:
Here is one, if this is still going on:
Darastrix ux Bahumati. My level 11 NG dragonborn dragonwraught kobold sorcerer 6 (With the dragonblood alternate sorcerer class feature)/Dragonheart Mage 5. His bloodline is a sand dragon. He has been aged to the venerable to gain all the ability score bonuses, and because of his race, he suffers no penalties. He was built with the 32 point buy. His Strength is abysmal (6, I think), but his Charissma is 24 (with the help of a Cloack of Charisma +4). He has wings from the dragonborn racial traits, and can breath fire. He went through the lesser and greater rituals and so has Identify as a spell-like ability 3/day (for now)

He'd focus on Diplomacy and Arcana, and with his racial feats in 3ed, he has something like a +22 (?) in knowledge Arcana, and +20 in Diplomacy.

Do you need to know more?

Oh, and I'm not afraid to house rule stuff. I want to see how close to the original product I can get.

Race: Kobold (if allowed by the DM of course)
Starting class: Wizard

If using my array I'd start the stats like so: Int: 16, Cha: 15, Con: 12, Dex/Wis: 11, Str: 10.

Arcana skill comes from being a wizard, I'm not sure if diplomacy is a class skill for wizards (books at home) but if it isn't I'd spend his level 1 feat getting skill training in diplomacy.

As he levels up I'd drop feats to get skill focus (I believe that's the name) for the +3 bonus to arcana and diplomacy. Arcana already covers being able to identify magic items during a short rest so an additional spell-like ability isn't needed.

Adding fire breathing, wings, and the other draconic elements would have to happen in a custom made paragon, or more-likely epic, path.

Porphyrogenitus

First Post
Bold or Stupid said:
This one is fairly easy. Human Rogue, starting feats are Rapier Prof, and Arcane Initiate. Feat at 2nd level is Ritual Skill. That covers youre requiremnets nicely as Rogue's swashbukle well in 4th ed. On the dancing skills front just clear it with the ref that it's part of her BG.
This thread caused me to pick up the 4E PHB and I need to say you're right (I said you had it inverted).

Me, and I'm guessing a bunch of people who are thinking their spellcaster can't do what they did before, need to check out Rituals more.

There's only a sampling in the book, but I'm guessing Wizards will add more Rituals later (duh)...so those of us who say "I could do X but it's not in the book!" can use our imagination too; that's not "house-rule", that's Old School D&D - OD&D (pre 3E...pre 2E...) didn't have a spell for every occasion right out of the book, either, but we were encouraged to create 'em (that's where many of the thousands of published 3.5E spells have their initial origin, btw - created in home campaigns & submitted).

Sorry to digress, if that's what the above is, but I'm learning that a lot of the "builds that don't work" do if you use your imagination. We used to have to do that a lot...so we still do. That's not a "4E bug", that's a feature of D&D and PnP gaming period. (Whether you like the 4E system or not is another question, I can't say yet myself, but that's not what this thread is about anyhow).

For Summoners, Necromancers, and the rest of us with "spellcasting complaints", we don't have to wait till Wizards publishes the stuff we know they eventually will and want for our Builds - create it yourself. If later what they put out for the same type of character is better, adopt. If you still prefer your version, keep it - your character has different spells & rituals than "the common run". As long as it works in the campaign you play in and doesn't ruin the enjoyment of the other people in it, no one can object.
:D

Last edited:

Remove ads