• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Challenging Challenge Ratings...again

Hi there Edheldur! :)

Edheldur said:
Just wondering... any estimate date about v6? (And yes, I know that UK and "estimate date" don't really go well together, but still... :p )

To be honest I would probably need 2 weeks to finish Version 6, thats assuming I didn't have anything else to work on at that time. I can't in all good faith put version 6 before Ascension.

I'll see what way it fits in with my Gods & Monsters scheduling. I was planning to do all the Ascension art and then (while I'm in the art 'groove') do all the Gods & Monsters art.

I wonder what I should do with regards a cover for Version 6...? Any thoughts?

Edheldur

First Post
Upper_Krust said:
Hi there Edheldur! :)
Hey UK!

Upper_Krust said:
To be honest I would probably need 2 weeks to finish Version 6, thats assuming I didn't have anything else to work on at that time. I can't in all good faith put version 6 before Ascension.
Ok.

Upper_Krust said:
I wonder what I should do with regards a cover for Version 6...? Any thoughts?
A lab table and/or some monster dissection, or is it just way too obvious?

zarquin

First Post
Using v5 of the IH CR System and fighters

Hmm... I think the monster HD is calculated too low, because you aren't factoring in that a monster treats ALL skills as class skills, so they probably need to be given an additional very minor adjustment to compensate, probably no more than +0.01/HD total, or perhaps equal to 0.001*number of skils points per HD.

Also what would be the CR adjustment for a native outsider? I ask because they gain the immunity to the normal planar sending spells, atleast on the Prime Material, and they can be resurrected.

Another question I have would be, what is the CR adjustment to give +1 hp per HD? It should be lower than +0.2 which would be the CR adjustment of giving a creature +2 con, which does more than just raise hp by 1 per HD. Subsequently, would then CR adjustment of giving a monster maximum hit points per HD just be calculated by the difference in average HP and maximum HP *cost of +1hp per HD?

Edheldur

First Post
zarquin said:
Hmm... I think the monster HD is calculated too low, because you aren't factoring in that a monster treats ALL skills as class skills...

Er... nope. Quoting from the SRD -emphasis mine-:
SRD said:
Skills

This line gives the creature’s skills, along with each skill’s modifier (including adjustments for ability scores, armor check penalties, and any bonuses from feats or racial traits). All listed skills are class skills, unless the creature has a character class (noted in the entry). A creature’s type and Intelligence score determine the number of skill points it has.

zarquin

First Post
Edheldur said:
Er... nope. Quoting from the SRD -emphasis mine-:
That's cool, just remembering from the MM that it had said that anything you put skill points into for a monster was considered a class skill. Glad that was changed. :)

Either way, the class skills aren't taken into account when he computes the CR per Hit Die of the non-classes, and should be factored in to give a more correct estimate of it's CR. Yes, I realize that's it's probably more effort than it is worth, just pointing it out more than anything. Since it'll probably take at least 70+HD to boost the CR by even 1. But even just saying that they get base+5 class skills to simplify it would give at most a 0.013 CR/HD for an outsider, which isn't really that bad.

Edheldur

First Post
Upper_Krust said:
Is that stuff easy enough to understand, are the tables easy to follow?
Yup, but I still have one question: when you say "When using multiple monsters increase the Challenge Ratings" how much should we increase the CR? Do we just add them together?

Hey Edheldur dude! :)

Edheldur said:
Yup, but I still have one question: when you say "When using multiple monsters increase the Challenge Ratings" how much should we increase the CR? Do we just add them together?

Not totally sure what you mean... :confused:

Do you mean what is the fractional increase/decrease for any given Challenge Rating to modify the Encounter Level?

Or do you mean how many same CR monsters does it take to increase the Encounter level?

Edheldur

First Post
Yo UK!
Upper_Krust said:
Or do you mean how many same CR monsters does it take to increase the Encounter level?
Kinda. I was wondering about the EL of a group of monsters with different CRs (since groups of monsters with the same CRs are covered clearly).

Remove ads