D&D 5E Monster damage realization - DPR per CR diminishes across the game

And people tell me I'm crazy when I say that the game is excessively lethal at low levels.
Strange. Never met those people. Lost mines is notorious for TPKs before you reach phandelver... but as I said above.

The chance of a single character dying is still very low at low levels. It is either all or nothing. And I guess that is the reason old school gamers feel less threatened individually.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Well, the only PK that occurred in a game I was running was at level 1. But so far in the game I'm playing in, we've lost 2 characters so far, one at level 6 and the other at level 8. The level 8 was kind of an anomaly though, as they were taken out by what was effectively a save or die effect (being punted into a Sphere of Annihilation).

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Strange. Never met those people. Lost mines is notorious for TPKs before you reach phandelver... but as I said above.

The chance of a single character dying is still very low at low levels. It is either all or nothing. And I guess that is the reason old school gamers feel less threatened individually.
They're on this very forum. In fact, I had someone tell me just a couple months ago, IIRC, that throwing a CR...I can't remember if it was 3 or 5? creature at a party of first-level characters was perfectly winnable and that anything CR1 or lower should be a cakewalk.

Quickleaf

Legend
@Stormonu I wanted to answer your question a bit out of order because below I'll dive into some detail, but first and foremost I think the question you raise about "what's the meaning of dividing Average Damage by the CR number?" is absolutely the right question. While I disagree that it's meaningless, I 100% agree that it is not a complete picture. I think the meaning is twofold...

First, it's a way to get the pulse on big trends. For example, the big jump from a very high value for fractional CR monsters (0, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2) to a much lower value for CR 1+ monsters. Or another example was the descending value as monsters increase in CR more generally.

Second, there's meaning in getting a feel for to what extent the threat a monster poses is encapsulated within these simple sort of maths VS. "other things" not accounted for in the maths, AND ALSO whether that ratio of how much "other things" are influencing this changes going from lower CR monsters to higher CR monsters. "Other things" might include PCs with damage mitigating powers like a barbarian's Rage or blade ward, damage avoidance powers like shield or Parry, monster damage being broken up into Multiattacks, etc.

I appreciated @Fanaelialae and @ezo sharing some more adjusted numbers and bringing PC hit points into the question... I still have to review those... but my point about "other things" is still going to apply to any deeper maths analysis we do.

Anyhow, I wanted to start with that – that you've got me asking "is there meaning? if so, what is that meaning?" Hopefully I can back it up with some better numbers and examples, but it may be in the end that there's not ENOUGH meaning to be a valuable design tool.

OK, now I'm going to get into some specifics where it may seem like I'm being critical or cherry-picking examples. So apologies in advance if it comes across that way - not my intent, but I know how intent can get lost in these sorts of conversations.

I don't know what ya'll are expecting, but I don't know any character at level 20 that would easily shake off taking 132 points of damage.
"Easily shake off" is probably subjective, but this is a great example where those "other things" (e.g. damage mitigation, avoidance, and multiattack) make a big impact. The barbarian and rogue come to mind, so I must thinking of Conan...

If we use your example against a 20th level barbarian (who gets 24 Con as their capstone)... that barbarian has 285 hit points (12 +7 * 19 + 7 * 20). So the 132 damage is less than half (about 46%) of their hit points. And if the damage is bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing, then the damage the barbarian takes is reduced to 66 damage, which is less than a quarter (with mitigation about 23%) of their hit points. So that's one example which I think contradicts your assertion.

If we think of a 20th level rogue with 16 Con... that rogue has 163 hit points (8 + 5 * 19 + 3 * 20). At first blush, that 132 damage looks like an utterly devastating 80% of the rogue's HP, buuut the rogue has tricks. --Let's say this monster relies on a Multiattack (2x attacks for 66 dmg each) which is an arbitrary assumption because I need to make an assumption to evaluate the rogue's trickiness-- So what are the rogue's tricks? Uncanny Dodge halves damage from one attack, so that's -33 damage, and 133 - 32 = 99. I am guesstimating that it's also fair to say that the rogue's features like Cunning Action, Elusive, and Evasion probably merit avoiding one attack throughout a hypothetical three-round combat... so that's 1/3 * 66 which is -22 damage, and 99 - 22 = 77 damage. The rogue has managed to reduce the damage to just under 50% (with mitigation) of their HP. Nothing to sneeze at, but our 20th level rogue could survive two rounds against this monster.

A DPR of 6 per CR is utterly meaningless in that context, giving a false impression that it's somehow less dangerous than the DPR per CR of 21 for a 1/8 CR creature, whose only going to deal 3 hp of damage on a hit. Without mitigation that CR 20 is going to drop any character with a d10 HD and Con of 13 or less in a single round's worth of attacks. The "average DPR per CR" calculation seems meaningless to me in relation to the pure DPR output (especially the sub CR 1 calculations), and most especially the chance of that blow connecting.
Right, so there's less mitigation/avoidance options for very low level PCs. Of course, there are still plenty of options (for example, I'll go on about how poorly designed the Shield spell is), it's just that they are less prevalent at 1st-level both in the sense of PCs having fewer resources and more easily stretched thin & in the sense of some PCs not having those mitigation/avoidance options available yet.

You gave a high level example earlier, so I'm going to flip the script to look at a CR 1/2 monster (Hobgoblin) facing 1st level barbarian and then a 1st level rogue – this time it's Fafhrd and Gray Mouser, I guess. The Hobgoblin's average damage is roughly 12, and its "damage divided by CR" is 24.

The 1st level barbarian has 15 hit points. So 12 damage would be a whopping 80% of their total - devastating. But they say "Hah you fool! I rage!" They mitigate it to 6 hit points, which is 40% (mitigated) of their hit points. Compare these % values to the 20th level barbarian (46% and 23% respectively). Because the higher level barbarian has that many more hit points and is mitigating more in relation to their hit points, this Hobgoblin is actually more dangerous to them than the whopping 132-damage dealing theoretical monster.

The 1st level rogue has it worse with 7 hit points. They don't have Uncanny Dodge, Elusive, or Evasion yet. The rogue takes that 12 damage – which is about 170% of their hit points – and they're on the sidewalk bleeding out. No mitigation. Compared to the 20th level rogue (who without mitigation was taking 80% of their HP, or with mitigation just shy of 50%), this is night and day, and the 1st level rogue better stay hidden, stay at range with cover, get a lucky drop, get someone else to fight for them, etc.

To circle back to "what's the meaning of dividing CR by damage?", these examples comparing to PC hit points echo what I initially was noticing – that there's a big difference between "21 damage for fractional CR monsters (CR 0, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2)" and monsters of CR 1+ (where it ranges from 8 to 6 damage).

So, for my process where I didn't want to dive into deeper maths/examples until I saw there was something there, seeing that really big jump from 21 damage to 8 damage was the "wow" moment – it was what got me to sit up and pay attention. And with these crude initial examples of a barbarian & rogue, hopefully I'm illustrating that yes, there is a meaningful difference in the threat presented that this big jump signals.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
And people tell me I'm crazy when I say that the game is excessively lethal at low levels.
Hah, well maybe they're comparing to 4e? I guess for some players that stark contrast of "high lethality at 1st level" vs "high survivability at higher levels" is a feature, not a bug.

I'm not a mathematician, so this may be a case of "knowing enough to get myself into trouble, but not out of it." And I'm tracking my own observational bias. So those are my disclaimers.

But (you knew there was a but coming) – IF what I'm observing is true and actual – I'm wondering what the game might be like were the trend to be reversed and the extreme low level jump smoothed out. Graphically, the blue is what I think I'm seeing, and the red is what I'm wondering how the game might feel like...

Screen Shot 2024-03-22 at 3.35.01 AM.png

EDIT: For clarification, "Damage Per CR" is a derived value. It is not a value looked up in any book's chart. It is derived by taking damage from those book charts (specifically Forge of Foes) and dividing it by the CR. So it's literally "Damage/CR." I saw some confusion earlier in thread (not from you Ezekiel), so I'm clarifying.

Last edited:

ezo

I cast invisibility
So - by damage per CR, I meant to illustrate the average damage (per round - of course it's per round, it's not going to be per hour...) in relationship to the CR. (again, I'm using the DMG numbers)
So, just telling you that your chart was mislabeled. I know what you meant, but that isn't what the title means. Your chart label should be "Damage per Round by CR."

You will note that between CR 1 and 20, the relationship is linear - it's not a curve, it's a straight line. The R2 of that line is 0.9985, which is quite good (although this is average damage, not the range, I didn't feel like getting into heavy stats).
Well, no. It isn't a "straight line" (btw, all "lines" are straight, ;) ). As I pointed out, it is a line from CR 1 up to CR 19, not 20. At CR 20 you get the jump of 18 points, not 6. The increases from the previous CR to the next is 6 points from CR 1 to 19. From CR 20 to 30 it is 18, so, also a line in this segment, just with a steeper slope. The CRs below 1 have increases typically of 2, with the exception of CR 1/2, which is 3 points. Since these aren't discrete numbers for the CR, it gives us exaggerated slopes while working on a scale less than 1 unit for our indepentent variable (the CRs).

Since CR is set by the maximum damage a creature can do, for simplicity's sake, I am only using the maximum damage column.

The equation of the linear curve is: y = 6.2548x + 4.1014 , which is the classic "y = mx + b", where m is the value of the slope, and b the intercept.

This tells us that for each increase of CR, average damage goes up by 6.25 (the slope)

The intercept of 4.4 tells us that damage doesn't start at zero. CR 0 creatures actually have lower damage than this, but CR 1/4 and above do, and CR 1 is a bit higher than what the curve tells us. I think this is intentional. In 5e, because of bounded accuracy, low cr foes remain relevant for a bigger level spread, and I suppose boosting their damage a little also helps this remain true.
"Linear curve"? I'm guessing it was late when you wrote this? :)

Anyway, all of this is irrelevent to the topic since it was damage per CR that the OP was discussing (although they did by tier). What you graphed, and we've been discussing is Damage (per round, of course) by CR. These are two separate things.

So, again, if you want to chart Maximum Damage per CR, it would look like this:
1711105154337.png

They're on this very forum. In fact, I had someone tell me just a couple months ago, IIRC, that throwing a CR...I can't remember if it was 3 or 5? creature at a party of first-level characters was perfectly winnable and that anything CR1 or lower should be a cakewalk.
It is winnable, just very hard.

@Stormonu I wanted to answer your question a bit out of order because below I'll dive into some detail, but first and foremost I think the question you raise about "what's the meaning of dividing Average Damage by the CR number?" is absolutely the right question. While I disagree that it's meaningless, I 100% agree that it is not a complete picture. I think the meaning is twofold...

First, it's a way to get the pulse on big trends. For example, the big jump from a very high value for fractional CR monsters (0, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2) to a much lower value for CR 1+ monsters. Or another example was the descending value as monsters increase in CR more generally.

Second, there's meaning in getting a feel for to what extent the threat a monster poses is encapsulated within these simple sort of maths VS. "other things" not accounted for in the maths, AND ALSO whether that ratio of how much "other things" are influencing this changes going from lower CR monsters to higher CR monsters. "Other things" might include PCs with damage mitigating powers like a barbarian's Rage or blade ward, damage avoidance powers like shield or Parry, monster damage being broken up into Multiattacks, etc.

I appreciated @Fanaelialae and @ezo sharing some more adjusted numbers and bringing PC hit points into the question... I still have to review those... but my point about "other things" is still going to apply to any deeper maths analysis we do.

Anyhow, I wanted to start with that – that you've got me asking "is there meaning? if so, what is that meaning?" Hopefully I can back it up with some better numbers and examples, but it may be in the end that there's not ENOUGH meaning to be a valuable design tool.

OK, now I'm going to get into some specifics where it may seem like I'm being critical or cherry-picking examples. So apologies in advance if it comes across that way - not my intent, but I know how intent can get lost in these sorts of conversations.

"Easily shake off" is probably subjective, but this is a great example where those "other things" (e.g. damage mitigation, avoidance, and multiattack) make a big impact. The barbarian and rogue come to mind, so I must thinking of Conan...

If we use your example against a 20th level barbarian (who gets 24 Con as their capstone)... that barbarian has 285 hit points (12 +7 * 19 + 7 * 20). So the 132 damage is less than half (about 46%) of their hit points. And if the damage is bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing, then the damage the barbarian takes is reduced to 66 damage, which is less than a quarter (with mitigation about 23%) of their hit points. So that's one example which I think contradicts your assertion.

If we think of a 20th level rogue with 16 Con... that rogue has 163 hit points (8 + 5 * 19 + 3 * 20). At first blush, that 132 damage looks like an utterly devastating 80% of the rogue's HP, buuut the rogue has tricks. --Let's say this monster relies on a Multiattack (2x attacks for 66 dmg each) which is an arbitrary assumption because I need to make an assumption to evaluate the rogue's trickiness-- So what are the rogue's tricks? Uncanny Dodge halves damage from one attack, so that's -33 damage, and 133 - 32 = 99. I am guesstimating that it's also fair to say that the rogue's features like Cunning Action, Elusive, and Evasion probably merit avoiding one attack throughout a hypothetical three-round combat... so that's 1/3 * 66 which is -22 damage, and 99 - 22 = 77 damage. The rogue has managed to reduce the damage to just under 50% (with mitigation) of their HP. Nothing to sneeze at, but our 20th level rogue could survive two rounds against this monster.

Right, so there's less mitigation/avoidance options for very low level PCs. Of course, there are still plenty of options (for example, I'll go on about how poorly designed the Shield spell is), it's just that they are less prevalent at 1st-level both in the sense of PCs having fewer resources and more easily stretched thin & in the sense of some PCs not having those mitigation/avoidance options available yet.

You gave a high level example earlier, so I'm going to flip the script to look at a CR 1/2 monster (Hobgoblin) facing 1st level barbarian and then a 1st level rogue – this time it's Fafhrd and Gray Mouser, I guess. The Hobgoblin's average damage is roughly 12, and its "damage divided by CR" is 24.

The 1st level barbarian has 15 hit points. So 12 damage would be a whopping 80% of their total - devastating. But they say "Hah you fool! I rage!" They mitigate it to 6 hit points, which is 40% (mitigated) of their hit points. Compare these % values to the 20th level barbarian (46% and 23% respectively). Because the higher level barbarian has that many more hit points and is mitigating more in relation to their hit points, this Hobgoblin is actually more dangerous to them than the whopping 132-damage dealing theoretical monster.

The 1st level rogue has it worse with 7 hit points. They don't have Uncanny Dodge, Elusive, or Evasion yet. The rogue takes that 12 damage – which is about 170% of their hit points – and they're on the sidewalk bleeding out. No mitigation. Compared to the 20th level rogue (who without mitigation was taking 80% of their HP, or with mitigation just shy of 50%), this is night and day, and the 1st level rogue better stay hidden, stay at range with cover, get a lucky drop, get someone else to fight for them, etc.

To circle back to "what's the meaning of dividing CR by damage?", these examples comparing to PC hit points echo what I initially was noticing – that there's a big difference between "21 damage for fractional CR monsters (CR 0, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2)" and monsters of CR 1+ (where it ranges from 8 to 6 damage).

So, for my process where I didn't want to dive into deeper maths/examples until I saw there was something there, seeing that really big jump from 21 damage to 8 damage was the "wow" moment – it was what got me to sit up and pay attention. And with these crude initial examples of a barbarian & rogue, hopefully I'm illustrating that yes, there is a meaningful difference in the threat presented that this big jump signals.
Levels 1-4 make a great osr game, huh

Quickleaf

Legend
Levels 1-4 make a great osr game, huh
Hah, if I admitted that pretty sure they'd revoke my grognard card. ;)

At 1st level, yeah the damage vs PC hit points is really dangerous like old school.

But then the sheer power of spells available at 1st level (e.g. create water, goodberry), Divine Sense & detect evil and good, Natural Explorer, Darkvision, Outlander background feature - to name a few - just wreck a bunch of old school scenarios.

1st level is a weird combination of things.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
It is winnable, just very hard.
I'm fairly sure the explicit intent was to demonstrate that it wasn't that hard. But I'll have to dig up the posts. This one is recent enough that that is actually a plausible thing to do.

Edit: Having dug it up, it was both but also kind of neither. One side was an argument about casters vs a troll (CR 5), saying that a specific group comp would find it a cakewalk. I had conflated this with a separate but linked discussion about why throwing in a CR 3 mummy as a game's second fight is cool, saying it was perfectly normal to throw such a horridly deadly creature at 1st-level characters. Oh, and assuming that you have six PCs to fight it so it technically isn't Deadly anymore. (Specifically, because if the PCs outnumber the enemy that much, you divide the encounter XP in half. Without that, it would still be 100 XP above deadly.)

1st level is a weird combination of things.
The game trying to serve too many conflicting goals. Easy, smooth intro for newbies; spicy, difficult early levels for OSR; the powerful, versatile, plentiful magic of 3e.

In the end, 3e wins, and OSR gets its leavings. Actually tailoring the experience so new players are well-prepared is an afterthought.

Last edited:

Remove ads