Challenging my high-lvl group (NPCs and monsters; my players shouldn't read this!)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I think I'm hiring you folk as executive consultants. :) WHY didn't I think of the ballistae idea myself? And the undead arrow idea is superb. I'll just stow that away for future use. But I don't think you'll be disappointed anyways! We'll find out in a few days.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Personally, I like the twigblight idea for the Rangers. That goes great with a Canine race I use. Just one Deepwood Sniper a mile away that keeps firing these things. Who needs summoning spells? Same can be applied to the Undead or even Constructs. Places a bunch of tiny Iron Golems in a catapult and fire. Mighty expensive, but I think it could be quite efective.

BBQ Man

First Post
Come to think of it, I remember that there were a bunch of 'living' weapons/tools/objects that were present on Athas, the halflings of a certain area used them, I think some of them would work wonderfully as 'Ghoulish' versions. Going to have to dig out that Dark Sun supplement.

BBQ Man

Very nice, the best part of the worm is that the worm is actually much weaker than people will think. Looking at the stats compared to reading about it really shows how well you used to creature relative to its actual combat power.

Rune

Once A Fool
Gah!

Piratecat said:
So, the question is... what would you have done differently? What other types of conglomerations should there be? *grin*

I'd post my "undying undead" template, but I'm pretty sure one of my players is reading this thread! It probably works best at lower levels, anyway...

BBQ Man

First Post
Found it!

Windriders of the Jagged Cliffs

available here

Will look over it and see if anything jumps out at me.

Oh, and as for tiny ghoulish men for arrows, now that I think of it, they would be better described as skeletons with their skin still on, stretched tight and tanned, flying through the air with their hands before them like a diver about to part the water's surface. (better aerodynamics)

The Twigblight arrows my players still hate, luckily (or unluckily) the knowledge for their creation is restricted to mad xenophobic elves in my campaign world. "Crossing the River" is a common saying along the border to denote doing unbelievably stupid things, usually bringing death or destruction to people and property.

Oh, is there a mechanic for the surviving ghouls in the necropede? something like '5d20' or is it DM choice?

Your players are going to hate this thread. :D

BBQ Man

Edit: Corrected saying, added definition.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
You could give the living arrows flight ability, so any that miss fly on around for another chance to strike next round. While the ones that hit are grappling with their target. I think this would be a great high level encounter. You have to deal with the grappling living arrows, the flying arrows that are still trying to strike you, and the creature(s) firing these little bastards at you.

When you go to attack the Archers, they just throw their Quiver full of living arrows at you! :D

Last edited:

Well, this is an idea I have planned for my next game, and it's not ghoulish, but you might be able to adapt it.

I have an order of monk/psions (egoists) who gain their powers by briefly drawing on the soul of another creature. Training begins by learning how to tap into the physical soul which is bound up with the body. The monastery keeps caged bears, hawks, rats, and other standard creatures, and so some of the primary abilities the psions take are things like Claws of the Bear, Animal Affinity, Featherfall, and a few other shapechange abilities. More powerful members of the order can tap into more intellectual aspects of the soul, allowing them to gain skill ranks, feats, and also knowledge (a la telepathy).

When members of the order abuse their powers, they are cast out, and their souls are rended, leaving a soulless body with a mind, but no compassion. It is possible to recover your soul, however, and one of the PCs is going to try to do just that.

In the monastery, he'll have to pass several tests to prove his spirit, and there'll be some psychological delving, but the climax will come when he and the rest of the party come upon the last member who was cast out of the order. When this guy tried to pass the test, he came with his companions, but he failed the test, and in the process the group of them all lost the ability to pull their souls apart, and they created an amalgam of each person's body.

The creature resembles a giant head, with one large face on the front that is twisted in pain. Instead of a normal mouth, though, a dozen arms thrust out at different angles. Around the sides of the head are over a half-dozen other faces, all distinct as if they had been individuals before they became a piece of this monstrosity. The head floats in the air, the air around it filled with a cacophony of cries, songs, screams, and moans.

Where the giant head's ear should be, the shoulders, head, and one arm of a woman thust out, and she beckons for the group to approach, singing a lament. Near beside her is a face with flesh drawn tight across the skull, screaming in agony, its eyes rolled back. The other faces consist of an Elf woman who continually claws at the body around her with the one arm she can still control, a reptilian head that is half-caught in the flesh and puffs flame from its lips, a dark Elf from whose mouth spiders scramble and drop to the floor, an elderly man with a tear-streaked face, and the lolling head and neck of a blank-eyed woman. There might be more, but you can't see them clearly.

I basically needed a monster, and always wanted to use a nice beholder, but with a twist. The monastery is called the Temple of Echoed Souls, so I decided to make a sound-based Beholder, with various effects caused by song and screams. The arms can tear a person apart much like a bite attack could, and the central face still creates antimagic, but I shuffled the powers around.

A floating beholder-esque clump of ghoulish spellcasters might be a possibility. Each one could cast a different spell, or even have it's own complete spell list.

maddman75

First Post
On the crustaceans - what about skeletons - maybe something tougher with the Skeleton template from the WotC web site, with ghouls for its musculature? It seems to work a lot better visually IMO - something with an exoskeleton should have skeletons in it:)

btw PKitty - that fight rules, consider the necropede stolen :). Any my players were bitching about the stuff in nightfang spire. Bwahahaha

BBQ Man

First Post
large skeleton creatures are cool, Sagiro used them in his campaign in a rather nice episode, but Piratecat probably wants to keep away from the similarity as much as possible.

BBQ Man

Remove ads