Challenging my high-lvl group (NPCs and monsters; my players shouldn't read this!)

omedon

First Post
Congratulations Piratecat!

This is the coolest new monster I have seen all year. I hope it shows up in OSM 3.

Which gives me an idea. Can you say psionic necropedes?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Another idea is a minimalised version of the necropede - One of the true ghoul humans which they fight could actually be composed of hundreds of ghoulish rats (or equivalent diminutive humanoids) - once that is "killed" it breaks into a swarm of tiny little paralysing b****rs.

BTW, I would have thought that the 80 true ghouls could have a more devastating effect than the necropede - with so many extra chances to roll a 1 on a save...

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Plane Sailing said:
BTW, I would have thought that the 80 true ghouls could have a more devastating effect than the necropede - with so many extra chances to roll a 1 on a save...

True! But remember, it isn't combat optimized. It's tunnel burrowing and large-scale transport optimized. Big difference! :)

Mmmm, ghoulish rats. They pop when you turn 'em!

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
I'm going to offer a couple of nasty creatures that I've seen used from the player side of things (so no stat details). They're somewhat similar, but both cool.

In a horror game I played in, we faced off against a bunch of zombies who were actually just the shells of bodies animated by a colony of insects. Look in their eyes and all you see is bugs crawling around. This was a modern game, they weren't a major threat. Neat quirk; they recharged their batteries (so to speak) by listening to the sounds of radios and TV's turned to static.

In a 1st edition game, we dealt with a group of creatures called "Brain Ghouls". They were a collective of ghoulish creatures that expanded by virtue of little sluggish things that would leap out from them and try to burrow into your brain. They then could communicate telepathically with each other. They were vulnerable to being disrupted at the center of the "network," the "hive brain" if you will. They took over an entire city of over 20,000 people in that game.

Fajitas

Hold the Peppers
maddman75 said:
something with an exoskeleton should have skeletons in it:)

Actually, something with an exoskeleton should, by definition, have skeletons outside it.

In other news, I've decided I'm now inordinately fond of the word "exoskeleton". PC, next time I play Shara, can she have an exoskeleton? Except, like, not in an undead way.

J'quan

First Post
Spectral, or Wraith Stirges.

Nothing like the gift that keeps on giving.

2-L bottle with a hyperdermic needle, draining you every which way.

Gideon

First Post
So every one here is just mean. Someday in the future your DM is gonna hit you upside the head with some big undead thing and you should remember all of these ideas.

Like right now in a game i play in the undead are overrunning the world.
But since my DM doesn't read here I think you should at some point show the ghouls at play. Since they seem to be inteligent. Maybe they are "playing" with their meal or something.

I will let the big scary monsters to more experienced minds than mine. But i know that will piss of your goody goody charachters, and let the bold run straight into some devious trap.

Shamat

First Post
Here's a ghoulish idea:

A giant that has thousands of arms protruding from it. These arms aren't grafted onto the giant, rather, there are ghouls inside of it. After a bunch of damage has been dealt, the ghouls burst out of the skin of the giant.

Idea #2: Elite Ghoulish infantry:
This type of ghoul would be four armed and six legged. It would have ankheg skin grafted to its flesh for extra defense. Furthermore, it would be able to use its paralyzing ability as a breath attack.

Idea #3: Lord of the Flies:
A decaying ghoul that has flies crawling all over it. After it strikes, the flies travel onto the victim to lay its eggs, which could hatch into something appropriately nasty. It could also fly if all of the flies team up together to lift it off the ground.

I hope I've contributed something appropriate.

Siridar

First Post
Fajitas said:

Actually, something with an exoskeleton should, by definition, have skeletons outside it.

An exoskeleton comprised of bones on the outside (duh) with ghoulish musculature. Hmmm. What if the exoskeleton could grapple with player and 'bearhug' them against the sharp bony protrusions of the exoskeleton while the ghoulish arms reach out and touch someone?

BBQ Man

First Post
How about a gigantic ooze made from ghoul heads.

just imagine, a huge moving wave of magically 'liquid' decaying groaning heads. (like a ball pit with air being forced in to increase it's liquid properties)

heheh

Edit: oooh, this could be considered 'recycling' truly dead ghoul parts, so one made purely out of hands could make sense as well, and since the above creature has no 'stomach' it can't ever be even remotely satisfied, thousands of starving ghoul heads sliding like an avalanche towards a party... love it. oh, and if this isn't dangerous enough, give it a banshee wail attack, or some other sound based attack as well.

Edit2: and this got me thinking of bodies of water made out of ghoul heads, and from there.. get this... a 'water elemental' but made from ghoul heads. like the ooze in properties, but more sentient, and capable of rudimentary form of morphing, so it could walk, or slide, or seem as though its just a bunch of floating heads in a large pool of water.

need to make some stats....

BBQ Man

Last edited:

Remove ads