• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chameleon Help

paigeoliver

First Post
Hi, I am looking for a way to enter the Chameleon prestige class at 6th level, but without having lost a base attack bonus before entering.

However this requires 8 ranks of Bluff and Disguise, which don't normally come on full BAB classes.

Is there any way to do this? Preferably one that doesn't require me to blow both my human bonus feat and my 3rd level feat.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I haven't combed the Complete books yet, but it seems like you want the best of everything and it's just not possible. Is losing 2 points of BAB really THAT bad? If you pick a Cleric with the Trickery domain, you can get into the Chameleon class as early as a Bard can (6th, I think) with buffs to make up for the "slack".

Last edited:

paigeoliver

First Post
If you are willing to lose one or two bab points then there are hundreds of ways into chameleon at 6th. I know my playing style tends to prefer combat over spellcasting, and thus I really want every point of bab I can get.

It looks like Hexblade and the City Slicker feat are another route to full BAB entry. Now if I can just come up with one that doesn't make me lose a feat.

Is there any base class out there that combines full BAB with the disguise skill?

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Looking at crystalkeep's list... Apparently there's a NE Paladin variant "Corrupter" with Bluff and Disguise in Dragon#312.

But of course, that's in Dragon and maybe wouldn't make DM very happy ;)

Asha'man

First Post
Outside of Dragon, you're out of luck.
From the Wizards Character Optimization boards Chameleon Guide:

1 level of Bard, Rogue, and Cleric(Trickery Domain) can qualify for the class by 6th level. Justiciar and Assassin have Bluff and Disguise as class skills. With the feat City Slicker, Hexblade, Marshal, Swashbuckler and Sorcerer can qualify.

If they don't know any other ways to enter Chameleon by level 6 without 3rd-party material, there aren't any.

There is the option of the Changeling Warshaper/Chameleon, though, which loses 1 BAB by level 6, but gets +4 untyped to Str and Con.

With [Full BaB class] 4/Warshaper 2/Chameleon 10, you have BaB +12 at level 16. (+13 with fractional BAB, which is how BAB should work.) Then you have the option to top up the full BaB class for +16 (or +17) at level 20, or take 2 more levels, then 2 of Warshaper, getting BAB +16 at level 20 (with or without fractional BAB) as well as 10-ft. reach and Fast Healing 2. No feats required!

paigeoliver

First Post
There is apparently a human subrace in dragon magic that makes disguise always a class skill.

But, I ultimately decided to just go the third party route, I have like all of 4 3rd party books on my shelf, but one of them had a base class that had BAB, disguise and bluff, so my problem is solved.

Dandu

First Post
The Apprentice feat in the DMGII can get you two skills as class skills, I believe.

That's probably the best you can do without third party material.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Here's another idea: early PrC that grants you skill access.

For example, a Changeling at BAB 4 qualifies for Warshaper, and Warshaper has access to Disguise & Bluff.

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads