D&D (2024) Change multiclassing prerequisites?

What should the multiclass prerequisite be?

• Higher than 13.

Votes: 9 15.8%

Votes: 19 33.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• None

Votes: 29 50.9%

Compared to a base fighter, this character will be MUCH more powerful in all 3 pillars. Shield, Silvery Barbs, Absorb Elements and cantrips alone ensure that is the case.

The 13 Intelligence (or Charisma for a Sorc) required to get these benefits is the price you pay for them.
I like the 13 int price. But the one level wizard fighter is not significantly more powerful* and pays with being a level behind forever... I'd rather use a feat on magic adept or ritual caster (which allows rituals up to level 9) and not be a level behind in fighter.

*maybe if you only have one fight per long rest.

Horwath

Legend
One way Paizo tried to fix this problem was through the creation of hybrid classes.

Most heroes progress along a single path—choosing to become a fearsome fighter, pious cleric, or mighty wizard—but some are drawn to many roads. For them, it can be hard to find a balance between abilities offered by disparate classes. Hybrid classes solve this dilemma by blending features from two classes, adding rules to make them work seamlessly together.

Unfortunately, Paizo never provided anyone a simple and easy means to create their own hybrid classes. Just 10 hybrid classes.

1. Arcanist (Wizard/Sorcerer)
2. Bloodrager (Barbarian/Sorcerer)
3. Brawler (Fighter/Monk)
4. Hunter (Ranger/Druid)
5. Investigator (Alchemist/Rogue)
6. Shaman (Oracle/Witch)
7. Skald (Barbarian/Bard)
8. Slayer (Ranger/Rogue)
9. Swashbuckler (Fighter/Gunslinger)
10. Warpriest (Fighter/Cleric)
Simple rule of as I see here is:

take 2/3rd of both classes together and spread them over 20 levels.
That is behind my idea of dual classing that I mentioned earlier in this topic.

I can't speak for everybody here, but I don't work for WOTC, so there isn't much I can do.

Besides, if I did work for WOTC, I would push for them to eliminate multiclassing altogether. And that would make me a very unpopular person.
☝️ This all day. Can you imagine the headaches you could eliminate getting rid of multiclassing. And, as not a small bonus, but a tremendously huge gargantuan bonus, you could create so many more sub-classes. Imagine the possibilities. It seems to me like it would be great for marketing too. More sub-classes means more books. And more importantly, more books players would want!

Vaalingrade

Legend
The structure of existing classes limits what a subclass can actually do without allowing dips into other classes for what niche protection prevents a class from having.

Tell you what: Kill niche protection and we'll let you take multiclassing away.

Horwath

Legend
The structure of existing classes limits what a subclass can actually do without allowing dips into other classes for what niche protection prevents a class from having.

Tell you what: Kill niche protection and we'll let you take multiclassing away.
kill the classes and let everyone take few features at every level.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
kill the classes and let everyone take few features at every level.
Dyskami makes a pointbuy5e version known as anime5e

edit: The 2014 5e ruleset itself creates or exacerbates a lot of 5e's problems with some of the ways it tries to erode & outright kill niche protection/class roles/etc

Dyskami makes a pointbuy5e version known as anime5e

edit: The 2014 5e ruleset itself creates or exacerbates a lot of 5e's problems with some of the ways it tries to erode & outright kill niche protection/class roles/etc
And the sooner that the "combat roles" 4E tried to impose on us is dead, the better! Let the fiction guide character development!

Remove ads