D&D 5E Changeling Arcane Trickster Optimization

Wasp

First Post
Hi everyone

I am looking for some optimization ideas for a new character for a new campaign.

The basic idea what I want to accomplish with my character:

1. Being a Changeling (Unearthed Arcana: Eberron)
I want to play a Changeling as I really like the idea of a character that not only looks like someone else (as with disguise self) but can also physically change. Nevertheless, "disguise self" would also be important in order to being able to change the appearance of clothes on the fly, to make the most of the class feature.

2. Using the invisible Mage Hand effectively
I really want to play a character that can manipulate things at a distance, therefore I need to become an Arcance Trickster 3 at least.

To use it effectively I would also like to have proficiency with Sleight of Hand and Stealth.

Beyond that I am not necessarily married to the arcane trickster class.

3. Being a Con Artist & Party Face
If at all possible I would like to act as a Skill Monkey in the Social Arena: Deception (covered by Changeling), Persuasion and/or Intimidation, Insight and/or Investigation, Perception...

Basically the character is supposed to be con artist / spy / diplomat / investigator / thief.

That's the main points. I would also like to stay out of melee and use either spells or crossbow in encounters.

Regarding some of the context:

We'll start at 3rd level and I doubt it will go until 20, it's more likely to end between 12th and 15th level. So it doesn't have to be optimized for lvl 20...

I expect lots of non-combat encounters and detective work.

The party is only 3 characters. One will be a Knowledge Cleric/Divination Wizard and the other one a melee character of some type. The only character creation restriction is "no variant humans", but that's probably irrelevant here.

Last edited:

Gavin O.

First Post
I'd recommend at some point multiclassing into Bard (lore college). You get an extra skill from multiclassing and three more from the lore college bonus proficiency, plus an extra expertise at level 3. You can also gain access to Telekinesis (as well as any other spell you like) to manipulate heavier objects than mage hand can.

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
Shadow Blade is your friend, it can be thrown, has advantage in darkness and dim light, and can be summoned back.

I also suggest taking Ritual Caster (Wizard) feat as you have no full wizard, and being able to summon a Phantom Steed (which you can make look like anything large, although it still uses horse stats aside from speed and hp), so that you can easier impersonate people who are usually mounted.

Remove ads