• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Changes I'm making to my Action Points - Suggestions?

Ebylon

First Post
Action Points will be given once per encounter (note, a 'meaningful' encounter, as in PCs won't get action points if they walk up to a wandering merchant and start a fight with him). Normal 'extended rest resets AP' rule still applies.

Action points can be used normally, including:

Adding a +3 (possibly +4) to a d20 attack roll (determining whether this will apply to skill checks and/or saving throws)
Replenishing an Encounter Power
Replenishing a Daily Power (2 AP needed, possibly 3)

Yes I understand the added boost that this gives players. I've been browsing the various Action Point/Fate Point/etc threads and I know what the ramifications will be. I want to add some more cinematic flavor and tactical... ness, to the group's decisions. I like the idea of them having to decide what to do with their AP that much more often, rather than "Well, guess I'll attack again!"

I'm looking for suggestions about possible additions to the list, or for suggestions about the things I mentioned I was still determining (+4, saves/skills, AP for daily replenishments)... or just suggestions in general!

And... go!

Fridayknight

First Post
If your trying to reduce time spent in combat using action points its probably not best to add more options with what to do with them. Keep it at standard action.

Adding extra bonuses tothe Action Point adds an extra layer of complexity to their use, it might confuse your players and it might slow the game down because of the extra decision making.

Also adding bonuses to Action Points will make certain Paragon path action features irreleveant as well as certain Human racial feats.

The best change to the Action Point is to make available at every encounter. No hoarding APs, no accounting, no waiting for Milestones.

Stalker0

Legend
Adding extra bonuses tothe Action Point adds an extra layer of complexity to their use, it might confuse your players and it might slow the game down because of the extra decision making.

I will agree with this to a point.

In my first alternative AP system, it was just too complicated for the players. I had a whole mess of options...and no one used it.

Then I cleaned it up and gave it just a few specific options...which is similar to what the OP is proposing. That has worked much better.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads