• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E Changes to Monsters: 1e through 4e

Keltheos

First Post
Joshua Randall said:
The mythical Lamia was half woman, half serpent. A similar theme is present in the Keats poem.

I am not sure how D&D's lamia started out as a centaur-like creature, much less how it turned into a beetle-creature.

Not always a serpent:Topsell's The History of Four-footed Beasts and Serpents (1607, 1608, 1658) shows her as a scaled cenaur-like creature.

lamia.jpg

Keltheos said:
Not always a serpent:Topsell's The History of Four-footed Beasts and Serpents (1607, 1608, 1658) shows her as a scaled cenaur-like creature.
Wow! Either you're a scholar, or your web-fu is superior to mine. ;)

Particle_Man

Explorer
mlangsdorf said:
Weren't orcs always pig-headed? That's how I remember them from the 1st edition MM.

I once described orc to a friend of mine as a "6 foot tall green anti-social Miss Piggy".

Heck, I think there was an old dragon magazine ariticle featuring orcs (in the #60's somewhere) that hinted at a "Mys Pyggui" orc goddess of love and beauty.

Remove ads