Changes to the Avengers

The Human Target

Adventurer
Well guys as a big comic fan I have a few thoughts/ideas. First, organic webshooters kinda bothered me in the movie cause they were so ill defined.They never go itno how they work or anything, so i felt like they were silly.I reserve judgment on the organic webs in the comic. As for the Avengers, they havent been a big franchise in years and hacent had anything resembling a new take on the idea in.... well, ever. So again I'm gonna put my faith in writer Brian Michael Bendis because i enjoy almost everything he does. And there has been a lot of speculation on the OLD Avengers as too wheither or not theyll have a place in the comics. And Marvel has hinted at another Avengers title to tie in with New Avenger- other than the Young Avengers and the Thunderbolts relaunch. So they might not be down for the count. But its mainstream comics, so after a few years of good, modern stroytelling they will probably just re-relaunch the series with the original lineup and some over the hill hack. Or maybe im just bitter.

JoeGKushner

First Post
THis whole disassembled thing has left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. I've got a basement full of comics and I'm thinking, "Man, that was the golden age of comics." It seems that they want the stuff to grow up without doing anything that requires the characters to grow up, like say, get older or have family (with rare exceptions.)

Ah well, I'm still enjoying some tradepaper backs, the JLA and Flash specifically.

Thank god I still have a lot of manga in Berserk to look forward to.

Klaus

First Post
Truth Seeker said:
ROFL....sorry, never saw that one coming.
But really, has it ever been explained? I can understand "Invaders", or "Defenders". Heck, I can understand even "Doom Patrol" and "The Losers"! But has anyone reasoned "Avengers" out?

Particle_Man

Explorer
Well originally, Loki fooled the Hulk into destroying some train tracks, which got the other original members on the Hulk's case, but they sorted things out and realized that the whole thing was really Loki's fault, so maybe they wanted to avenge their honor for being fooled by Loki, as well as avenge those who are hurt by villains in general?

AFGNCAAP

First Post
Alzrius said:
Honestly, I don't see the reason for the outcry. New Avengers is going to be its own title, and it won't threaten the established Avengers in the Marvel Universe. They are just too well-established to be thrown out whole-cloth. The original version will still be there.

Nope, not at all. Lot of major changes with this arc (SPOILERS):

Thor & the Asgardians wents through Ragnarok; all of the Asgardians are dead, Thor is dormant/dying/fading away, and Beta Ray Bill is the sole survivor, sent away by Thor to be the surviving witness of Ragnarok & to tell their tale. Wasp is in a coma. She-Hulk went berserk, and ripped the Cision ot pieces. Ant-Man was killed (by an undead Jack of Hearts). Hawkeye was killed in #502. And, one of the Avengers is traitor, responsible for all of this--a fair amount of speculation is that it's Scarlet Witch.

New Avengers will have at least half of the team full of big-name characters, and the rest of the roster is filled with less-known/used characters. Many of these characters are supposedly favored characters by Bendis. There's even a "mystery character" who hasn't been revealed yet. (However, it may just be yet another Bendis-favorite character). However, a friend of mine is guessing that this new, big-name lineup will only last for a limited time (6-12 issues), only to be dropped/replaced by newer characters (not a new tactic for Marvel; not really a good tactic, IMHO, either).

I really like the Marvel Universe, but it's getting to be quite bad with continuity. This shocking new change w/ the Avengers isn't new--Heroes Reborn/Return pretty much caused the same amount of havoc. And, the character deaths are getting to be a joke (and makes death a rather weak plot device now, IMHO).

Then again, it can be said that a lot of these changes are made by the writers in order to place their mark/spin on the character. Sometimes it works, but more often, it doesn't.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Klaus said:
But really, has it ever been explained? I can understand "Invaders", or "Defenders". Heck, I can understand even "Doom Patrol" and "The Losers"! But has anyone reasoned "Avengers" out?
Honestly, I will not know myself...(never did think of that way...hmmm)

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Klaus said:
Klaus, I found this at a history site on Comic books, it may not be enough for your question, but it has a outline premise on why the Avengers came to be.

View here please

In fact, the whole site is dedicated to the history of comic fandom, it is very interesting.

Remove ads