Changes to the Avengers

JoeGKushner

First Post
Does anyone think this will actually work?

Movies, despite the massive amounts of cash generated by say Spider Man (1 or 2), are really a flash in the pan and five years from now won't be remembered as the cmoics are.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
AFGNCAAP said:
And, the character deaths are getting to be a joke (and makes death a rather weak plot device now, IMHO).

I'm hoping Marvel stays true to their in-character announcement that characters in the Marvel universe will no longer return from actually being dead when and if they die. That happened as a result of "The End".

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Alzrius said:
I'm hoping Marvel stays true to their in-character announcement that characters in the Marvel universe will no longer return from actually being dead when and if they die. That happened as a result of "The End".

It's been stated a couple of times that "The End" is not considered in-continuity. Tom Brevoort specifically mentioned this around the time that the Thanos series was announced, as people were very curious how the events of that mini-series would affect the main character (Thanos), as he was left dead at the end of... well, "The End."

Thanos references several of the events in "The End", however, which would lead one to believe it is in continuity. Again, though, Tom B. said it wasn't necessarily the case- that in the "proper" Marvel universe, events similar but not exactly like those that took place in "The End" might have occurred to the "mainstream" Thanos.

Very confusing, yes.

At any rate, I wouldn't put money on any deaths in the MU ever being permanent- even with Joe Quesada's "no resurrections" "rule" in place. Magneto's already come back, seemingly, twice since that edict was first laid down; Colossus is back; one of the characters who is meeting their demise in Avengers Disassembled is supposed to be coming back (Joe said the idea to resurrect them was the best proposal he'd ever seen).

Not to mention what may or may not happen *after* Joe Q. is replaced as Editor-in-Chief someday. (Not that I think that's likely to happen soon, but I'm pretty sure he won't be there forever.)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
The Avengers just hasn't been any good since Emma Peel left and John Steed was stuck with all those other secondrate floozies

Last edited:

AFGNCAAP

First Post
Cthulhudrew said:
It's been stated a couple of times that "The End" is not considered in-continuity. Tom Brevoort specifically mentioned this around the time that the Thanos series was announced, as people were very curious how the events of that mini-series would affect the main character (Thanos), as he was left dead at the end of... well, "The End."

Thanos references several of the events in "The End", however, which would lead one to believe it is in continuity. Again, though, Tom B. said it wasn't necessarily the case- that in the "proper" Marvel universe, events similar but not exactly like those that took place in "The End" might have occurred to the "mainstream" Thanos.

Very confusing, yes.

At any rate, I wouldn't put money on any deaths in the MU ever being permanent- even with Joe Quesada's "no resurrections" "rule" in place. Magneto's already come back, seemingly, twice since that edict was first laid down; Colossus is back; one of the characters who is meeting their demise in Avengers Disassembled is supposed to be coming back (Joe said the idea to resurrect them was the best proposal he'd ever seen).

Not to mention what may or may not happen *after* Joe Q. is replaced as Editor-in-Chief someday. (Not that I think that's likely to happen soon, but I'm pretty sure he won't be there forever.)

That's the big thing w/ comics in general--for one, they are a business, and they will tailor/cater their product to those that will buy them; also, they go through changes--whether it's a new writer or artist on a book, a new EIC, a new CEO, etc.--and said changes will inevitably bring about changes to the books.

I think it's a matter of perspective for the fans, as well. What 1 fan may love/like, another may hate/dislike. It's inevitable. Spider-Man is going through a defining love/hate period right now with the "Sins Past" story arc; I'm sure the furor & discussion about this is the same as the whole "Clone Saga" stuff that happened years earlier--and it may be just as easily retconned/forgotten, as well.

If you ever wanted to have a love/hate relationship in your life, comics seem to be the best way to have one. :p :D

Cthulhudrew

First Post
AFGNCAAP said:
I think it's a matter of perspective for the fans, as well. What 1 fan may love/like, another may hate/dislike. It's inevitable. Spider-Man is going through a defining love/hate period right now with the "Sins Past" story arc; I'm sure the furor & discussion about this is the same as the whole "Clone Saga" stuff that happened years earlier--and it may be just as easily retconned/forgotten, as well.

That's about the size of it, yep. :)

Funny you should mention the Clone Saga. I just recently stumbled across this site- The Life of Reilly - which discusses that period of comic history in exhaustive detail. For a really good insight into just the sort of comic politics/furor you mention, you might want to check it out. If nothing else, it really gives a good purview of how changing management and business practices really handle/mishandle things. Not to mention just giving a good historical overview to a period of comics history that many consider one of the worst and most damaging to the industry.

Henry

Autoexreginated
And people say ROLE-PLAYING GAMES are too complicated. GAH!

I left my comics-buying in the early 1990's, and truth be told, I'm kind of glad I did, now. To try and catch up now on all my favorite titles (assuming some of them even still exist) would be not only too expensive, but too bewildering to even try.

Heck, I don't even know if Mary Jane's really alive or not anymore, much less whether she's married to Peter, and if it's the real Parker, anyway. Yeesh!

LightPhoenix

First Post
Regarding AFGNCAAP's spoiler:

Ten bucks says the traitor is Iron Man. It's not an uncommon motif for him at all to manipulate the Avengers and anyone else around him for his own ends, be they selfless or not.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Henry said:
And people say ROLE-PLAYING GAMES are too complicated. GAH!

I left my comics-buying in the early 1990's, and truth be told, I'm kind of glad I did, now. To try and catch up now on all my favorite titles (assuming some of them even still exist) would be not only too expensive, but too bewildering to even try.

Heck, I don't even know if Mary Jane's really alive or not anymore, much less whether she's married to Peter, and if it's the real Parker, anyway. Yeesh!
Yes...she is married to (The REAL) Peter and very much alive.

And yes, you will be better off in getting the trades...if you wanted to catch up.

Remove ads