• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Changing a player's race mid campaign

jasper

Rotten DM
Yes, I actually meant to mention that. She wants this character to be human, but with the same name/class/stats that she has now. Obviously, there might be a slight shift due to racial traits, but I don't think that will be a big deal.
??? What the problem. Take eraser. Erase elf. Pencil in human. In game story Dm " Everyone.Sue, has change her race to human." If you more concern about the story than the game then write a novel.

alienux

Explorer
??? What the problem. Take eraser. Erase elf. Pencil in human. In game story Dm " Everyone.Sue, has change her race to human." If you more concern about the story than the game then write a novel.

There is no problem, and I don't recall saying there was one. She's more comfortable with a story reason, so I'm not just going to tell her, "No, you just changed" when having a story behind it helps her enjoyment of the game. You're making quite the inference of something that isn't there by assuming I'm overly concerned about the story to the point of worrying about it and treating it like a problem.

jasper

Rotten DM
There is no problem, and I don't recall saying there was one. She's more comfortable with a story reason, so I'm not just going to tell her, "No, you just changed" when having a story behind it helps her enjoyment of the game. You're making quite the inference of something that isn't there by assuming I'm overly concerned about the story to the point of worrying about it and treating it like a problem.
Hmm. That is because nearly every time I see a post about "player wants to change pc in middle of game." It boils down to "arrghhh jasper is changing his pc. This messes up the STORY! whaaa!" Perhaps your OP could said, "I stumped. The player does not like some of story reasons I want to use about the change. She wants more choices. Could y'all give me some ideas."

alienux

Explorer
Hmm. That is because nearly every time I see a post about "player wants to change pc in middle of game." It boils down to "arrghhh jasper is changing his pc. This messes up the STORY! whaaa!"
And that seems to be your issue here. You're bringing assumptions from other posts you've read into mine, even though they don't apply.

Perhaps your OP could said, "I stumped. The player does not like some of story reasons I want to use about the change. She wants more choices. Could y'all give me some ideas."
I think I was pretty clear in my first post. I'm not stumped (I listed my ideas) and she doesn't dislike any reason I have, I'm just looking for other possible ideas from the community. You know, like idea sharing? Changing her character race doesn't affect any of the rest of the story in any way, I'm just trying to make the change fun for her and thought a discussion with other DMs would be fun and useful.

S

Sunseeker

I like the idea that she is a secret human. The polymorph situation seems a little contrived.

Kannik

Hero
...a far more fun one I think would be for her to be exposed as human. She's a rogue, right? Maybe she's an exceptionally slight of build human who has been masquerading as an elf for roguish purposes. Maybe she was trying to romance an elf boy, maybe she was trying to steal the elf clan's magic acorn, who knows.

I second this idea, moreover the general idea of "tasking" the player to create a situation that could explain the switch. It could still still involve some DM/outside elements, but tying the "switch" into an overall arc or story for her character would be great and may help in kindling new excitement for the character.

Plus, as Knaser said, the other players need not know that this wasn't a planned thing all along! I foresee stunned looks followed by high fives at the table. :D

gamingly,

Kannik

Lackhand

First Post
Here's a few options.

"All elves can become human, and this one chose to". I mean, if it was good enough for Tolkien, who am I to argue? For this to work, the character was elven the whole time, but is choosing to become human in order to... well, I guess that depends a little more on plot. Get back at mom and dad, no, this isn't a phase. See what lies after death, because she's been convinced by the party cleric that it's an all-the-times party. Dodge an arranged marriage.

"She was in disguise the whole time". Others have suggested it, and it's certainly the lowest impact solution. Wasn't an elf, just liked elven fashion and had a slight build.

"Elves are magical; an elf who lives in cities or amongst humans is a human". Elves that spend too long in cities, or which swear fealty to a human noble, lose claim to their fey heritage and become mundane humans. Well known phenomenon (sort of similar to the first option, but caused not by the positive choice of mortality but the passive acclimation to the human condition). If she spends some time among elves again, she (like any human with a glimmer of fey ancestry) would become an elf again.

In my campaign, dragons are teratogenic; creatures consuming dragon blood become dragonborn (or birth dragons, or become dragons). If the player is interested in that, maybe something similar could happen here. But I don't see exactly how that would work for turning into a human; much easier for turning into a dragonborn or a tiefling or something.

"Don't try to make it work, it's just not that important". Comic books do it all the time. Just retcon it.

mellored

Legend
A wizard time traveled which led to a subtle series of events that made her human but left the rest of the world unchanged.

alienux

Explorer
Here's a few options.

"All elves can become human, and this one chose to". I mean, if it was good enough for Tolkien, who am I to argue? For this to work, the character was elven the whole time, but is choosing to become human in order to... well, I guess that depends a little more on plot. Get back at mom and dad, no, this isn't a phase. See what lies after death, because she's been convinced by the party cleric that it's an all-the-times party. Dodge an arranged marriage.

"She was in disguise the whole time". Others have suggested it, and it's certainly the lowest impact solution. Wasn't an elf, just liked elven fashion and had a slight build.

"Elves are magical; an elf who lives in cities or amongst humans is a human". Elves that spend too long in cities, or which swear fealty to a human noble, lose claim to their fey heritage and become mundane humans. Well known phenomenon (sort of similar to the first option, but caused not by the positive choice of mortality but the passive acclimation to the human condition). If she spends some time among elves again, she (like any human with a glimmer of fey ancestry) would become an elf again.

In my campaign, dragons are teratogenic; creatures consuming dragon blood become dragonborn (or birth dragons, or become dragons). If the player is interested in that, maybe something similar could happen here. But I don't see exactly how that would work for turning into a human; much easier for turning into a dragonborn or a tiefling or something.

"Don't try to make it work, it's just not that important". Comic books do it all the time. Just retcon it.

Some great ideas, and I especially like the Arwen reference. She will, too, as she's a fan.

Remove ads