• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Changing spellcasting levels for Paladins, Rangers, etc.

CrusaderX

First Post
I'm sure this has been asked before, so forgive me for asking again. I was unable to turn up anything in Google.

Would it be terribly unbalancing to the game if Paladins and Rangers had spellcasting levels of (their class level - 2) rather than (their class level / 2)?

Also, what classes other than Paladins and Rangers have this type of spellcasting progession? I believe Hexblades cast this way. Are there any other classes that do so?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
IMC, Rangers and Paladins cast at class level -3 (Practiced Spellcaster compatible).

Not broken in the least, in my experience.

Cheers, -- N

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
IMC too Paladins and Rangers treat caster level as class level-3

a) it fits with the paladin turning model
b) it fits with the class level at which they start getting spells
c) it helps their caster level remain relevant (cf Paladin attempting to dispel *anything* with standard rules!)

FWIW I use the same thing for Ranger animal companion too - keeps it one step below the druid companion and keeps it usable.

Darren Ravenshaw

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
IMC too Paladins and Rangers treat caster level as class level-3

a) it fits with the paladin turning model
b) it fits with the class level at which they start getting spells
c) it helps their caster level remain relevant (cf Paladin attempting to dispel *anything* with standard rules!)

FWIW I use the same thing for Ranger animal companion too - keeps it one step below the druid companion and keeps it usable.

Second that. Been using this as a house rule for awhile and for the Rangers at least it works fine. Can't comment on Paladins my players are to chaotic to ever play one.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads