D&D 5E Changing the alchemist - if I remove the mechanical servant...

Arilyn

Hero
The alchemist class from EN World's "A Touch of Class" is really good. They create and throw bombs, start getting spells at 2nd level, and no mechanical servant. Don't know if you are willing to purchase more material, but it might fit your bill.

Mr Zang *did* witness another mage cast it so it would make "sense" in a way.
I'm probably thinking of "creating and animating a tiny construct over the course of a long rest" rather than "casting the spell on a random object." But the net effect would be the same.

Well... without it the artificer is underpowered... then suddenly is overpowered because of that huge power spike, but then (since it doesn't scale) he's underpowered again. It's ... not great design IMO. I would like something that "smoothed" that power curve, and access to a better spellcasting chart would help.
You could start at a lower level with a Find Familiar, then improve to the animated object spell from XGTE. (Can't remember the name of the spell.) Possibly then on to creating Homunculi at higher levels.)

One alternative that I've considered is making artificers full casters, but requiring their class-based magic items and construct companions to be powered by spell slots. So at 2nd level for example, the Artificer can spend a spell slot to empower a couple of small objects as Sending Stones at the end of a long rest.
This fits well with using the construct-animation spells with XGtE quite well actually.

A random thought (speaking of Xanathar again) - artificers should also get the ability to make common magical items, like the cloak of billowing or the mystery key :)
If you allow magic item creation in your game, then Artificer is definitely one of the classes that would be able to make them.

The alchemist class from EN World's "A Touch of Class" is really good. They create and throw bombs, start getting spells at 2nd level, and no mechanical servant. Don't know if you are willing to purchase more material, but it might fit your bill.
I've not looked at that yet. Thank you.
Is it basically a 5e translation of the Pathfinder Alchemist?

ro

First Post
So... would that be enough?

I like the idea. Definitely up the spellcasting to 1/2 caster. Other ideas include:

1) Blessing of the Forge and Artisan's Blessing from the Cleric Forge Domain would fit the Artificer very well and help make it somewhat more competitive. I would even consider making them improve at higher levels.

2) Mystic Arcanum from the Warlock class would be a great addition, or something similar: let your artificer have a few select higher level spells that fit the theme.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
To be honest, I don't have the Xanathar book, so don't know anything about the Alchemist.
But it sounded like you weren't happy with the spells, so I wondered if multi-classing with another casting class would help. And he doesn't really sound much like a sorcerer or warlock..

As stated in the original post, the class comes from Unearthed Arcana, a series of articles published by Wizards of the Coast (ie, the people who publish D&D), not Xanathar. It can be found here:

https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/1_UA_Artificer_20170109.pdf

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Heh! Sorry, I don't think I added much value here.
:)

LOL - I'm reaaaaly feeling grumpy right now (I couldn't sleep at all last night, went to bed again earlier this morning then they started renovations next door...) and I appreciate your patience and candor. And heck, maybe you learned something useful too!

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I'm probably thinking of "creating and animating a tiny construct over the course of a long rest" rather than "casting the spell on a random object." But the net effect would be the same.

You could start at a lower level with a Find Familiar, then improve to the animated object spell from XGTE. (Can't remember the name of the spell.) Possibly then on to creating Homunculi at higher levels.)

First of all, thank you for your very constructive input in this thread.

The spell you are thinking of is tiny servant. I think I would start it at level 6, and "modify it" thus:

- Tiny servant is animated for 1 hour/level (normal spell is 8 hours)
- Tiny servant can communicate simple concepts via gestures (improves utility)
- Tiny servant's HP = int bonus + alchemist level. This makes the starting HP roughly equal to the spell but it scales up, without being a ridiculous meat shield
- Tiny servant can be repaired by the alchemist during a short rest, gaining 1d10 HP.
- Tiny servant can use the caster's infusion (I haven't really thought out if this could backfire somehow)

One alternative that I've considered is making artificers full casters, but requiring their class-based magic items and construct companions to be powered by spell slots. So at 2nd level for example, the Artificer can spend a spell slot to empower a couple of small objects as Sending Stones at the end of a long rest.
This fits well with using the construct-animation spells with XGtE quite well actually.

Full caster is a lot of work...

If you allow magic item creation in your game, then Artificer is definitely one of the classes that would be able to make them.
They already can via wondrous invention - they make fairly low powered items like bag of holding, caps of swimming etc. But the common items in Xanathar's book are of even lesser power. It would be a nice ribbon ability, but it may be a bit too much on top of the existing wondrous inventions.

Remove ads