D&D 5E Changing the alchemist - if I remove the mechanical servant...

ro

First Post
They already can via wondrous invention - they make fairly low powered items like bag of holding, caps of swimming etc. But the common items in Xanathar's book are of even lesser power. It would be a nice ribbon ability, but it may be a bit too much on top of the existing wondrous inventions.

This raises the question: If a 20th level Artificer isn't the guy making the high-end magic items (very rare, legendary...), where do they come from?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
This raises the question: If a 20th level Artificer isn't the guy making the high-end magic items (very rare, legendary...), where do they come from?

I think the assumption here is that magical items last a very long time, and that many of them were made in golden age of item creations. The artificer can create *more* items than the average spellcaster, (she doesn't have to quest for formulaes/special ingredients, she just makes a new item every 5 levels or so) *but* the art of creating a truly potent item is beyond their grasp... unless they too quest for those ancient secrets and ingredients.

The spell you are thinking of is tiny servant. I think I would start it at level 6, and "modify it" thus:

- Tiny servant is animated for 1 hour/level (normal spell is 8 hours)
- Tiny servant can communicate simple concepts via gestures (improves utility)
- Tiny servant's HP = int bonus + alchemist level. This makes the starting HP roughly equal to the spell but it scales up, without being a ridiculous meat shield
- Tiny servant can be repaired by the alchemist during a short rest, gaining 1d10 HP.
- Tiny servant can use the caster's infusion (I haven't really thought out if this could backfire somehow)
I'd just stick to the usual 8 hrs duration.
How many HP does the Tiny Servant have usually?
Artificers can already heal their servants through normal spells.
Anything with an Int of 6 or more can use an artificer's infusions.

Full caster is a lot of work...
Yep, but once you start looking at a 'pool' of points with which to enchant weapons, animate constructs, create items etc, then just using the existing spell slot system starts to make more sense.

They already can via wondrous invention - they make fairly low powered items like bag of holding, caps of swimming etc. But the common items in Xanathar's book are of even lesser power. It would be a nice ribbon ability, but it may be a bit too much on top of the existing wondrous inventions.
Creating magic items is usually a matter of DM fiat. If a DM allows magic item creation, then artificers can create them. If a DM doesn't allow PC magic item creation (either through specifically saying "No" or though not giving enough downtime) then artificers don't have a general ability to overrule the DM on this.

The specific exceptions are the magic items that the artificer can create through Wondrous invention. These should probably be regarded as (rather badly written) class abilities rather than the usual magic item creation.

I think that in most settings they probably come from non-adventuring magic-users: either retired or who make a living creating items. Such NPCs probably don't have the capabilities that PCs do for combat and other challenges, but have the ability to craft items.
Often PCs have better things to do with their time than sit around for years crafting an item.
I run Eberron, which has other sources of magic items of course.

Remove ads