• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chaosium's Long-Delayed Kickstarter: Cargo Ship Arrives With Stock; Rewards About To Go Out

Chaosium's half-million-dollar Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition Kickstarter is one that has been plagued by delays for three years now. When Sandy Petersen and Greg Stafford took over at Chaosium in 2015, one of the things they promised was that fulfilling this Kickstarter would be a key priority. And just yesterday, the company announced that the final shipment of product has arrived at its destination ready to be sent directly to the Kickstarter backers from four distribution centres in the USA, Canada, Australia, and the UK.

Chaosium's half-million-dollar Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition Kickstarter is one that has been plagued by delays for three years now. When Sandy Petersen and Greg Stafford took over at Chaosium in 2015, one of the things they promised was that fulfilling this Kickstarter would be a key priority. And just yesterday, the company announced that the final shipment of product has arrived at its destination ready to be sent directly to the Kickstarter backers from four distribution centres in the USA, Canada, Australia, and the UK.

chaosium.png

For those not following the long story, A Kickstarter update last October informed backers that there was no money to print or ship books. Moon Design Publications, which acquired ownership shares in the company, provided additional funds to fulfil the Kickstarter and settle other debts of Chaosium (freelancer payments to writers, artists, editors, and so on).

Chaosium has been letting backers track the cargos of books (which traveled by ship), and the final ship arrived right here in Southampton, UK yesterday. Below are some photos of that very cargo ship, NYK Hermes, posted by a pair of fans who went to Southampton Docks to see the vessel come in. This shipment contains the Keeper's Rulebook, Investigator's Handbook, Keeper's Screen Pack, slipcases, Nameless Horrors, and Petersen Guide to Lovecraftian Horrors. There are other rewards not part of this shipment; Chaosium's Rick Meints explains that "We wanted to get the core products to everybody as quickly as possible, while working within the limits of an extremely tight budget. T-shirts, mugs and the like were not included because if a packing slip or customs invoice for this first shipment had any mention of a 'non-book' item the whole shipment could be unfairly subject to import taxes, customs duty, or VAT, and nobody wants to pay that if it can be avoided."

Cfr-Kb6UYAEUq6Z.jpg

Cfr-KTnUIAIJPmz.jpg

Cfr-KVnUsAAnapW.jpg

Cfr-KdLUUAAdZXl.jpg

(Photos from Nigel Clarke)​

JeffB

Legend
The new Crew (greg, sandy, rick, et. al) over there have been kicking ass and taking names. Glad to see them turning things around and listening to what the fans have wanted from Chaosium for a long time. I didnt back CoC ((I use a battered and tattered old 3rd edition these days, ) but I did back RQ and have received almost everything digital, and the core print looks to be on track as well. They are putting the fulfillment of CoC as the priority, understandably. I can wait :)

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
Agree w/ JeffB!

As expected, the new ownership had been making majoR changes for the better, and are finally delivering on long-held promises!

MAJOR kudos to Sandy & Co., and I can't wait to see what other NEW stuff they have in store for the coming years!

doctheweasel

Explorer
It arrived in port mysteriously with no crew. The only one onboard was a single madman locked in the hold who screams at all hours about staying out of "the shadows in the angles."

darkmoonrising

First Post
I'm one of those that backed the Kickstarter and am looking forward to receiving my books in the very near future.

Ultimately this Kickstarter appears to be an example of when a company promises too much (several books, PDFs, mugs etc) and maybe didn't properly take into account increased costs that will take place over the next few years as delays occur. As a backer it will ultimately be a great deal, with the number of books I am getting for the price, but sometimes adding more content to the core books can be better than promising more and more and more books which inevitably causes long delays.

Thankfully Moon Design stepped in to cover financial costs (hoping all the artists/writers have been paid by now) and Sandy/Peter shook up/took over management so things are all on the right track now. Otherwise I have no doubt that failing to deliver on the flagship product of the company would have led to its collapse and much ill will from backers (though I do accept that backing is always a risk not everyone might be so forgiving).

So long as Chaosium has learned its lessons for any future Kickstarter projects the future should continue to be rosy (or is that actually blood red?).

Remove ads

Remove ads