• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chapter 4 Online

Wyvern

Explorer
I just posted my first draft of Chapter 4: Character Design at www.msu.edu/~reesmatt/Cosmo3.rtf. Sorry it's taken me so long to get this done. The last few weeks have been busy, and the next few will be even moreso. The Equipment section isn't done yet, but I didn't want to put off posting what I've got any longer, lest you think I'd jumped ship.

Under the description of the Demolitions skill I make brief reference to rules for damage to different materials. This is an optional variant rule I came up with a while back because I was dissatisfied with the official rules regarding damage to objects. I think they're quite appropriate for inclusion in the Cosmonomicon, but the best place for them is in Chapter 2, which is your domain, BlackJaw. So I'm posting them here for your approval. I've also posted them at www.msu.edu/~reesmatt/damage.rtf to make it easier for you to cut-and-paste them if you like them.

Damage to Objects: Variant Rule
Under official rules (PHB p. 135), objects take the same damage from energy attacks regardless of what material they are composed of: half damage from acid, fire, and lightning, one-quarter damage from cold, and full damage from sonic attacks. As a more realistic, and slightly more complicated alternative, cross-reference the energy type and material on the table below to find out what fraction of the damage an object suffers. In all cases, hardness is subtracted after the revised damage is calculated.

Code:
[COLOR=beige]
         Acid     Cold    Electricity    Fire     Sonic
Paper    Full     1/2         1/2        Double   Full
Rope     Full     1/2         1/2        Full     1/2
Glass    1/2      1/4         1/2        1/2      Double
Ice      1/2      None        1/2        Double   Full
Wood     Full     1/4         1/2        Full     Full
Stone    1/2      1/4         1/2        None     Full
Metal    1/2      1/4         1/2        1/2      Full
[/COLOR]
Wyvern

BlackJaw

First Post
I have some trouble in including classes from published works, such as dragonstar. (I like a lot of that setting, but I think that the character classes are not open content. At start of most chapter in that book, designate what content is open and what content is closed. The class and backgrounds in that chapter are closed content. I think. Their wording is odd.)

Also, we need permision to use the downloaded character classes.

Some of the content goes off topic. Feats for countering the spellcaster/range combat 5' step tactic has no use in air combat. Some of the PrC classes don't have much to do with air combat or rules. Etc.

Also, on a similar topic, with Spell Jammer in Dungeon means that it is not going to be allowed to sneak through the OGC/d20, and we shouldn't refrence it directly by name.

Lastly, there is some edits to the Piloting skill I'd like to include. A bit about how you co-pilot for example. just stuff that is mentioned in my rules sections but should really be covered in the skills section.

Last edited:

EnglishScribe

First Post
Lurker Surfacing

OK, I've been following this forum since its conception, partly because it parallels the my own (slow) work on Planetry System design.

This year has been busy so far, so I've been but a lurker in the shadows.

I would love to comment on the existing material, but the links to recent documents in the forums are broken, and the cosmo web page has not really been updated for quite some time.

Have you a collated document on the work in progress?

BlackJaw

First Post
I have a lot of trouble updating the website, and I have no idea why... although I can do it with some effort.

As for a coliated document... ug we'd love that but we are still working on it.

I've been killing myself making an inclusive set of rules (D20 games have a lot of options for what a player can do, and I need to cover how those all work in flight) that is stille easy to read and understand. That last part is killing me.

The links in these forums arn't working or the links on the webpage arn't working?

PS: you wan't a busy year: I'm graduating from college (Cinema/Film), trying to get a job, and planning a trip to europe.

Last edited:

Wyvern

Explorer
Once again, I apologize for my slow response. The last couple of weeks have been really busy. Also, I'm going to be traveling through most of May, so my internet access will be sporadic at best starting next week.

BlackJaw said:
I have some trouble in including classes from published works, such as dragonstar. (I like a lot of that setting, but I think that the character classes are not open content. At start of most chapter in that book, designate what content is open and what content is closed. The class and backgrounds in that chapter are closed content. I think. Their wording is odd.)

Also, we need permision to use the downloaded character classes.
The introduction to Chapter 3 of the Starfarer's Handbook says that "Open Game Content in this chapter includes game rules, statistics, abilities, mechanics, and material derived from the d20 System SRD, including all class names, class features, and abilities." I interpreted that to include the rule mechanics for pilots and mechanists. The background info is closed content, but the rules can't be, because they reference the SRD.

As for the Dragon Knight class, I was planning to email the author and ask for his permission to include it. I'll probably take care of that when I get back from my trip. Since this is so far just a rough draft of a fan-created project, I didn't feel any particular urgency about it. Besides, if you think that the class doesn't belong in the Cosmonomicon, it may not matter anyway.

Some of the content goes off topic. Feats for countering the spellcaster/range combat 5' step tactic has no use in air combat. Some of the PrC classes don't have much to do with air combat or rules. Etc.
I included that feat because I thought it would be appropriate for use in boarding maneuvers. Ditto for Battle Assist, Crack Shot and Defensive Shooting.

Also, on a similar topic, with Spell Jammer in Dungeon means that it is not going to be allowed to sneak through the OGC/d20, and we shouldn't refrence it directly by name.
Good point, although I'm not too worried about it at this stage. If this project ever does see some kind of publication, I'll go through and excise direct references to it. Unless I can get permission from Andy Collins or whoever has the authority to give it.

Lastly, there is some edits to the Piloting skill I'd like to include. A bit about how you co-pilot for example. just stuff that is mentioned in my rules sections but should really be covered in the skills section.
By all means. Just let me know what you want me to add.

I'm open to suggestions for a new name for the Skydancer, by the way. I don't really like that name, since it doesn't (to me, at least) evoke the swashbuckling type of character I was trying to represent. I originally called it the Windrider, but then I found out there's a class in Masters of the Wild with the same name, so I had to come up with something new on short notice.

Wyvern

Wyvern

Explorer
Re: Lurker Surfacing

EnglishScribe said:
OK, I've been following this forum since its conception, partly because it parallels the my own (slow) work on Planetry System design.

This year has been busy so far, so I've been but a lurker in the shadows.

I would love to comment on the existing material, but the links to recent documents in the forums are broken, and the cosmo web page has not really been updated for quite some time.

Have you a collated document on the work in progress?
The three chapters I wrote are available here, here and here. Constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated. Do you have a website for your planetary system design? I'd like to see it.

Wyvern

Remove ads