• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Advencement Suggestions Needed - Spontanous Divine Caster

mmu1

First Post
I'm currently playing a class called the "Divine Avatar" in a homegrown game - it's a spontaneously casting cleric, essentially, based to some degree on the Favored Soul.

The main difference, for the purposes of this discussion, is that you get to pick one cleric domain, and while you get the domain abilities, you get the domain spells as extra spells known, rather than extra spells per day. Also, the spellcasting is based exclusively on Wisdom.

My character is currently Level 2 (very close to Level 3) has Str 16, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 14 and Cha 10, as well as the War domain.

His current known 1st level spells are Bless, Cure Light Wounds, Magic Weapon, and Protection from Evil.

Since he's essentially the party's heavy hitter (he uses a greatsword, and has the highest damage output in the party at the moment) and has a very limited spell selection, I decided at the outset that I wasn't going to take any spells that allow the enemies a save (it's hard to make a "caster" cleric at the best of times, even more so when you don't have the points to spare for a high Wisdom score), and instead concentrate on healing and buffs.

Now, my questions are this:

1. What to take as my next 1st level spell known once I hit 3rd level? I've been thinking of taking Lesser Vigor for efficient healing in between combats, but I'm not 100% sure about the wisdom of using two out of 4 available spell slots on healing spells. On the other hand, I'm having a hard time finding anything else that seems especially useful. Remove Fear could be useful, but it's not something that comes up all that often.

2. What three 2nd level spells known to pick at 4th? I'll get Spiritual Weapon automatically. Beyond that, I'm thinking Bull's Strength, Cure Moderate Wounds - and perhaps also Align Weapon, Lesser Restoration, Remove Paralysis or Silence.

3. The third level feat - I currently have Weapon Focus, Improved Toughness, Iron Will and Combat Casting. I'm sort of drawing a blank, on what to take next, here. I've kind of toyed with Augment Healing, though.

Suggestions?

Merkuri

Explorer
I played a favored soul for about a year in my current campaign, and used the same basic strategy you did, focusing on buffing and healing spells. My basic rules for choosing spells were that they had to be useful in many situations, would be useful when cast multiple times a day (for example, create food and water wasn't a good choice for me, especially since we had a normal cleric in the group), would be useful at higher levels, and weren't offensive. I did break these rules from time to time (flame strike was a favorite spell at later levels), but they helped me get the most out of my character.

Divine favor might be good for you since you attack often. Adds to your attack rolls and remains a useful spell as you go up in levels. Shield of Faith also came in handy a lot. Magic Weapon is good, but I see you already got that one.

Bull's Strength is an extremely good spell to have, especially when you have melee fighters in the group. Lesser Restoration is handy to have if you run into things that drain ability scores, but if you don't have a need for it it'll just be wasting a valuable spell slot. I picked it, but that was because when I gained that level we needed a lot of restoring. :) It's certainly handy to be able to cast it repeatedly if multiple party members got hit.

Cure Moderate Wounds shouldn't be a question. Take it. Always take the cure spell at every level if you want to be at all effective in healing. Trust me.

mmu1

First Post
I thought about taking Shield of Faith, and I still might, but I generally find myself so busy at the beginning of combat - do I attack, heal someone who might have gotten nailed in the opening round or cast Bless to help everyone else? - that taking one more round to cast a spell on myself before starting to fight seems like bad idea.

On the other hand, with a 3 minute duration, it might actually be possible to make us of it when expecting a fight... Decisions, decisions...

Vanye

Explorer
There's a spell called Healthful Rest (I think) in the Spell Compendium. You can cast it on one target per level, and it doubles natural healing rates overnight. So, it's not an immediate combat repair, but it's a great spell for long term healing. Be a good one to use for those game days where you've taken a few minor wounds in the party, but otherwise are in good shape - slap this baby on at the end of the day, and next morning, you're fully healed, for the cost of 1 or 2 spells, instead of 4 or 5....

Voadam

Legend
I'd recommend going the other way for your next first level spell. You have all the general use combat healing and buffing you really want for that level of spell. More of the same means mostly wasted flexibility for the few spells you get to get off right at the beginning of a fight. Take something that will only come up occasionally but will be useful when it does.

Comprehend languages is great for reading NPC journals you find and odd wall carving inscriptions with the clue for getting through traps or secret doors.

Merkuri

Explorer
Vanye said:
There's a spell called Healthful Rest (I think) in the Spell Compendium.

That doesn't sound very helpful for a spontaneous caster, IMO. It's only good right before you sleep. Taking a spell with more applications would be better.

Of course, if you can't find anything better then it's a good choice. :)

Remove ads