• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character build- is it legal?

Binho

First Post
Fochlucan Lyrist has an Evasion prereq.

Also, Perform is not a class skill for any of your pre-Fochlucan Lyrist classes, so unsure how you'll meet the 13 ranks in Perform (String). Dunno any domains that grant it.

Other than that, looks good to me.

Is the Divine Oracle progressing Cleric or Wizard spells? What's that PrC in there for?

Divine Oracle 2 has evasion-like ability and advances wizard spells. I was hopping for a domain that grants perform as skill class, but my last resource would be the able learner feat.

Still up to the DM to decide whether Prescient Sense satisfies the Evasion requirement. Also, where's Druidid language coming from?

Druid language comes from Mage of Arcane Order level 3 as below:

Bonus Language: At 3rd level and again at 6th level, a guildmage’s access to the Order’s superb library and resources allows him to learn a new language.
Even if it is not allowed to learn this at the superb library of the Order, I would bribe/treat/enchant some fallen druid or blighter, or even a druid that can't make a success against my suggestion spell.

For further reading, here's some good material on building a Fochlucan Lyrist, with all the caveats involved.

I was inspired in that post, but I don't saw this build there...

Fochlucan Lyrist doesn't have anything to do with Evasion; the Evasion requirement is there to enforce having at least two levels of Rogue. Prescient Sense does not satisfy the prerequisites, any more than wearing a ring of evasion does. This is incorrect under both RAW and RAI.

They should have just stuck with Trapfinding and Sneak Attack +1d6. That only requires one level of Rogue... but at least it actually requires a level of Rogue, or some combination of Rogue-like classes.

The prescient sense includes some text like this "... This FORM OF EVASION works no matter what armor...". Sounds like one of the forms of the ability evasion. Also I'm sure some of the complete series or one of the core continuations show rules that consider similar abilities as equal to fulfill prerequisites for feats or PrC, but I can't find it now... Of course, by RAW Prescient Sense is not exactly equal Evasion, but would be reasonable to consider it. Both abilities serves the same purpose and function the same manner, except for the heavy armor, that, as an arcane caster, I wouldn't use anyway. So the final word would be of the DM, but, as this build is just for fun, let's consider Prescient Sense=Evasion for purpose of requisites.

There is so much to be done: feats, tactics, combos, spell combos that would fill this character concept (not-gish; arcane/divine/fighter with a lot of skills and uses of devotion feats :lol:). Any ideas?

Last edited:

Wyvernhand

First Post
TECHNICALLY, Prescience Sense isn't Evasion. A Ring of Evasion doesn't actually grant Evasion either, it allows the user to act as if he had Evasion.

Then again, TECHNICALLY, you aren't able to learn Druidic by any means, simply because the only way to learn it described in the book is to be a drood.

If you like Incarnum, Shape Soulmeld(Impulse Boots) + Open Lesser Chakra(Feet) gives you ACTUAL Evasion without any class levels, and is 100% RAW legal. OLC requires CL6 and a Con of 11+ to shape the meld, and your class features turn off if you ever take Con damage/drain that causes you to go lower than 11. On the plus side, if you are Azurin (human subrace from MoI), you get a free point of Essentia you can invest in your Impulse Boots for a "free" +2 Ref save, iirc.

If you are handwaving one requirement, you might as well handwave the other. FL isn't overpowered by any regard, its just MT with full BAB and more skill prereqs that takes a few more levels to enter.

Its also worth noting that you can nap Skill Focus: Knowledge(Religion) from a magical location called the Frog God's Fane found in Complete Scoundrel. It has a WBL value of like, 3000g, but thats a steal for a free feat that is already pretty crappy.

Last edited:

Binho

First Post
TECHNICALLY, Prescience Sense isn't Evasion. A Ring of Evasion doesn't actually grant Evasion either, it allows the user to act as if he had Evasion.

Then again, TECHNICALLY, you aren't able to learn Druidic by any means, simply because the only way to learn it described in the book is to be a drood.

If you like Incarnum, Shape Soulmeld(Impulse Boots) + Open Lesser Chakra(Feet) gives you ACTUAL Evasion without any class levels, and is 100% RAW legal. OLC requires CL6 and a Con of 11+ to shape the meld, and your class features turn off if you ever take Con damage/drain that causes you to go lower than 11. On the plus side, if you are Azurin (human subrace from MoI), you get a free point of Essentia you can invest in your Impulse Boots for a "free" +2 Ref save, iirc.

If you are handwaving one requirement, you might as well handwave the other. FL isn't overpowered by any regard, its just MT with full BAB and more skill prereqs that takes a few more levels to enter.

Its also worth noting that you can nap Skill Focus: Knowledge(Religion) from a magical location called the Frog God's Fane found in Complete Scoundrel. It has a WBL value of like, 3000g, but thats a steal for a free feat that is already pretty crappy.
Well, I don't want to go Incarnum, ToB or Psionic, but thanks for the advice. About the skill focus from 3000g is awsome, but expensive. A should get it around level 5, where I would have around 9000g. Actually, at lv 5 I would be like a wizard with some feats oriented for combat, but still basically a wizard, so i think i could depend on my spells, thats the plan...

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Divine Oracle 2 has evasion-like ability and advances wizard spells. I was hopping for a domain that grants perform as skill class, but my last resource would be the able learner feat.
Keep in mind Able Learner does not allow you to have the max number of ranks in a cross class skill, it only allows you to invest a single skillpoint instead of 2 in cross class skills, but still caps them out at half the max ranks of class skills. This feat won't do it for you.
The Apprentice feat in DMG II with an Entertainer mentor will. You get Diplomacy and Perform as class skills to your character forever. You have to take the feat at level 1. Perhaps if you RP this right, your mentor could also have some levels in Druid (A more traditional Fochlucan Lyrist perhaps?) and would teach you the forbidden language. As a bonus, you rotate the feat to change to Mentor at level 5, gain a mini-cohort when you hit level 9. Good stuff.

Druid language comes from Mage of Arcane Order level 3 as below:

Bonus Language: At 3rd level and again at 6th level, a guildmage’s access to the Order’s superb library and resources allows him to learn a new language.
Even if it is not allowed to learn this at the superb library of the Order, I would bribe/treat/enchant some fallen druid or blighter, or even a druid that can't make a success against my suggestion spell.
Yeah... this one you need to swing by a DM. If you can, more power to you!

The prescient sense includes some text like this "... This FORM OF EVASION works no matter what armor...". Sounds like one of the forms of the ability evasion. Also I'm sure some of the complete series or one of the core continuations show rules that consider similar abilities as equal to fulfill prerequisites for feats or PrC, but I can't find it now... Of course, by RAW Prescient Sense is not exactly equal Evasion, but would be reasonable to consider it. Both abilities serves the same purpose and function the same manner, except for the heavy armor, that, as an arcane caster, I wouldn't use anyway. So the final word would be of the DM, but, as this build is just for fun, let's consider Prescient Sense=Evasion for purpose of requisites
If I was your DM, I'd rule this way. for the reasons you put in all caps.

LiL KiNG

First Post
Perhaps if you RP this right, your mentor could also have some levels in Druid (A more traditional Fochlucan Lyrist perhaps?) and would teach you the forbidden language.

I don't know if as a DM I'd let that work only for the fact the book says something to the effect that Druids are forbidden to teach the language to nondruids, and can't they lose their own Druid given powers for violating this?

It's real iffy to me, away from my books right now so can't really read into more at the moment. Would be a rule zero thing in any case, I just have reservations about it.

Binho

First Post
I don't know if as a DM I'd let that work only for the fact the book says something to the effect that Druids are forbidden to teach the language to nondruids, and can't they lose their own Druid given powers for violating this?

It's real iffy to me, away from my books right now so can't really read into more at the moment. Would be a rule zero thing in any case, I just have reservations about it.

I don't think so, druids shouldn't lose their powers just because of this, but the druid comunity would be pissed off. But I would try convince someone that already lost his druid's power, so he doesn't has nothing to lose.
I don't consider the language and the evasion a problem to my discussion here. That would depend of DM. But the skill perform, that is really a problem...

Visigani

Banned
Banned
I don't think so, druids shouldn't lose their powers just because of this, but the druid comunity would be pissed off. But I would try convince someone that already lost his druid's power, so he doesn't has nothing to lose.
I don't consider the language and the evasion a problem to my discussion here. That would depend of DM. But the skill perform, that is really a problem...

No it isn't.

Unearthed Arcana has a feat that allows you to adopt any skill as a class skill. Skill Knowledge on pg. 81.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads