Character Builder Beta available

Xris Robin

First Post
It also seems to require a lot of clicks that really seem to be just version of "are you sure?"

Right-click. It negates the need for the confirm option. I assume if it had a manual or readme it would mention this somewhere. Hopefully the full version will have something like that.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
I had my doubts and was keeping my expectations low so I wouldn't be crushed when this came out. After messing with this for a couple days and with the program being only in beta, I can't help but be anything than extremely impressed.

I'm on record for saying that the D&D Compendium was enough to keep me happy with my subscription. The character generator is icing on the cake. My only complaint? No Mac support. :.-( Boo!

malraux

First Post
Right-click. It negates the need for the confirm option. I assume if it had a manual or readme it would mention this somewhere. Hopefully the full version will have something like that.

Its still stupid design. Since the changes are non-destructive, there's no reason to make the better option harder to find. If I accidentally select the wrong thing, its easy to go back, so why should the program make it harder to go forward.

edit: Of course, this is probably just a mac user ranting about the general windows way of doing things.

Last edited:

Asmor

First Post
Its still stupid design. Since the changes are non-destructive, there's no reason to make the better option harder to find. If I accidentally select the wrong thing, its easy to go back, so why should the program make it harder to go forward.

edit: Of course, this is probably just a mac user ranting about the general windows way of doing things.

No, it's just a mac user ranting about the correct way of doing things and then assuming the incorrect way is the Windows way.

Good design isn't platform dependent.

Last edited:

JVisgaitis

Explorer
I think I read somewhere something about Parallels and Mac and it worked on that or something...not entirely sure though, may have been a different OS.

Yep, but that would require an Intel Processor. My desktop is still using a G5. Aside from that, I have issues with installing a virus magnet like Windows on one of my Macs. I'll do it, but I won't be happy about it.

justanobody

Banned
Banned
Yep, but that would require an Intel Processor. My desktop is still using a G5. Aside from that, I have issues with installing a virus magnet like Windows on one of my Macs. I'll do it, but I won't be happy about it.

I don't like using a virus like Windows either, but a Windows machine kind of requires it. I was just passing the info along just in case people were interested and it helped them. Use the info or not how you feel safest.

Furby076

First Post
Yes I was looking forward to trying the Visualizer and Builder.

You may need to get the full 230 megs .NEt from Microsoft first as the installer for CB seems to lag when trying to install .NET 3.5 SP1.

As a person who works in the software industry, specifically building custom applications - I can assure you that building an app in .Net makes it so the person who wants to use it needs to be running it.

It's not really a big deal and the .NET software is free. It's like having to install adobe acrobat reader to read PDF files. Big whoop.

Betote

First Post
It's not really a big deal and the .NET software is free. It's like having to install adobe acrobat reader to read PDF files. Big whoop.

Except that I can install adobe acrobat reader (or any other pdf reader) in my ubuntu-running computer :(

That fact alone is what prevented me from getting a DDI subscription.

Remove ads