Character Builder Beta available

Asmor

First Post
Except that I can install adobe acrobat reader (or any other pdf reader) in my ubuntu-running computer :(

That fact alone is what prevented me from getting a DDI subscription.

I'm not sure what version of .Net the character builder targets, but the Mono project will run most .Net applications on Linux up to a certain version. I think last I heard it was 2.0, but I don't know. Worth a try.

Of course, that also requires that the programmers went out of their way to make the code platform-independent, which is probably not that likely. Most of the stuff you don't need to worry about, but there are some bits that one wouldn't think of if that wasn't one of your goals (e.g. Windows uses \ as a directory separator character while Linux uses /)

I'm not sure what version of .Net the character builder targets, but the Mono project will run most .Net applications on Linux up to a certain version. I think last I heard it was 2.0, but I don't know. Worth a try.

Of course, that also requires that the programmers went out of their way to make the code platform-independent, which is probably not that likely. Most of the stuff you don't need to worry about, but there are some bits that one wouldn't think of if that wasn't one of your goals (e.g. Windows uses as a directory separator character while Linux uses /)

As far as I know and see, the Character Builder uses WPF. Won't work on Mono, and according to the current plans, might never. I am disappointed about that. :(

CubeKnight

First Post
As far as I know and see, the Character Builder uses WPF. Won't work on Mono, and according to the current plans, might never. I am disappointed about that. :(
Assuming by "WPF" you mean the Windows Forms namespace (been a long time since I coded in .net), I seem to recall a *nix .net project that managed to emulate said namespace, and run apps that depended on it.
One of my teachers was a standard Unix Geek, and he could still run most of the stuff we coded in OOP class.

Now, if I could remember its name :(

Obergnom

First Post
well, you can allways run it in a Virtual Machine, if you have an old XP disc somewhere... thats what I do. Makes the CB rather useless for netbook level computers with linux, though

drothgery

First Post
Assuming by "WPF" you mean the Windows Forms namespace (been a long time since I coded in .net), I seem to recall a *nix .net project that managed to emulate said namespace, and run apps that depended on it.
One of my teachers was a standard Unix Geek, and he could still run most of the stuff we coded in OOP class.

Now, if I could remember its name :(

WPF = Windows Presentation Foundation (from the .NET 3.5 framework); the successor to Windows Forms (being mostly a web guy, I haven't fussed with the Windows stuff, but Silverlight is a subset of WPF, which is kind of interesting, because if you reworked the Character Builder into a Silverlight app, then it could run with MS plugins on Windows and OSX, and via Moonlight elsewhere).

WPF = Windows Presentation Foundation (from the .NET 3.5 framework); the successor to Windows Forms (being mostly a web guy, I haven't fussed with the Windows stuff, but Silverlight is a subset of WPF, which is kind of interesting, because if you reworked the Character Builder into a Silverlight app, then it could run with MS plugins on Windows and OSX, and via Moonlight elsewhere).

What drothgery said, except WPF was already available in 3.0. ;)

I don't know how "small" the Silverlight subset is of WPF exactly, but I think the basic templating and binding to XML (or other data) sources should be available in Silverlight, so it is not impossible. The CB has the advantage that it's still mostly for displaying tables and text with a limited amount of images, and doesn't need much access to hardware.

But it would still require tons of work, and I am not too optimistic they'll do that. Maybe fans could start by demanding a "Silverlight Character Sheet Viewer" from WotC that reads the character file and displays it like the regular app?

Asmor

First Post
But it would still require tons of work, and I am not too optimistic they'll do that. Maybe fans could start by demanding a "Silverlight Character Sheet Viewer" from WotC that reads the character file and displays it like the regular app?

I haven't really examined the format too closely, but the character files are just XML and pretty simply to work with.

The catch is, all the important stuff (i.e. text of feats and powers, etc) are in the encrypted database. The XML files just give the name and maybe an ID to look them up, I forget.

Oh, what I wouldn't do to be able to decrypt that data and poke around in it... *drools*

Remove ads