Character Builder Beta available

Someone remind me... Have they (recently) offered any ETA on when the full version will be up and running? I love what I'm seeing so far; I want full functionality soon! :D

D&DI news#14 says early next year. Can't be soon enough IMO. Once this thing is fully available, I can't imagine doing it the old way.

Riley

Legend
Readable XML, huh? That's awfully nice. Because I love the builder, but the black-on-white design of WOTC's sheet leaves a bit to be desired.

It will be really nice to standardize the data behind all the 4e sheet layouts.

My big request: can someone make an XML sheet that mimics the old AD&D 1st ed character sheet (you know, the one that was printed on yellow paper)?

I loved the version that Necromancer gave out for 3e, but my attempts to recreate it for 4e have only provided proof that desktop layout is not an area of my expertise.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
that is freaking fantastic.

Now to populating different character sheets.

Note that the XML doesn't include the calculations for AC, HP, attacks, etc. that appear in the character viewer; so any alternative CS viewer would need to handle those calculations. It'd be a fairly extensive development program, from what I can see. Might be worth it, though! :)

Cheers!

Agamon

Adventurer
Woot! I uninstalled everything, grabbed the .NET link directly from MS and it works. I'm impressed... seems to be straightforward. Three thoughts:

1) More levels! My party just hit 5 and it would be nice to use those damnned useful power cards.

2) Can't seem to houserule backgrounds yet. I liked the idea so much I created some for my campaign. I think I can come up with similar ones for most of them but I think 2 characters might be outta luck. Eager to see a houserule setup.

3) I'd like to see a way to allow/disallow supplements. Would make it easy as a DM to state which you can and can't use. I know some areas it's obvious, but others (like the feats) could be made easier if the player just didn't see it.

All of this will be included once the full app is available.

mdonais

First Post
Note that the XML doesn't include the calculations for AC, HP, attacks, etc. that appear in the character viewer; so any alternative CS viewer would need to handle those calculations. It'd be a fairly extensive development program, from what I can see. Might be worth it, though! :)

Cheers!

Another options is to send me your ideas or designs for character sheets and we will make the best/most popular one for you.

--
Mike.

mdonais

First Post
Not having much luck with Vista x64. Grabbed .Net 3.5 and the SP1 from the Microsoft site. Character builder installs fine but then hangs upon start

Oh well

Vista x64 is not working. We found the problem and are working on it now and hope to have a new install tested and out eventually.

Mike.

Remove ads