• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Change

Latency

First Post
I am a player that is half way through the adventure currently Level 7, and I am not having fun playing the character I am playing. This is no fault of the Adventure, DM or other PC's. The problem arises in the fact that I am the Cleric. Any thoughts on how I should bring this up to the DM? The Second question to all the DM's out there how would you handle this situation?

Thanks

kreynolds

First Post
Latency said:
Any thoughts on how I should bring this up to the DM?

You could always let him know you don't like the character and that you would like to build another one.

This actually happened to me once, where the personality of the character developed into an area that I simply could not role-play effectively (lawful good).

Latency said:
The Second question to all the DM's out there how would you handle this situation?

I'd let you build another character if you wanted to. I wouldn't force you into the game at a lower level either...well...not exactly. More than likely, I would start a solo game with you at one or two levels lower than your previous character, then role-play you up to the rest of the party's level, then join you up with them.

This isn't the only solution either. I'm pretty flexible, so I just listen to what my players would like to do and I help them in any way I can (within reason).

Dimwhit

Explorer
That's happened in our group a couple times. Sometimes, a character just doesn't turn out how you want. One guy got created. He had a Rogue, so with the DM's help, he stole a bunch of our stuff and ran. We caught up to him and killed him. Then he just brought in a new character. Worked fine. It's not something I would encourage to do often, but every so often it's a good thing.

Does your party have another Cleric? Poor them if not. Nothing like a Cleric to keep a party going. Our Cleric is pretty much the only reason we are all still alive. He's awesome!

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
Have you considered just changing the current character? There must have been something you found interesting in order for you to choose him in the first place. Could you maybe focus on that and stop doing the other things that you've found you don't like? Perhaps an alignment change, or some new oaths (ie. "I'm am a holy warrior, not a healer." so no more healing). Or heck, forsake your god altogether and maybe the DM will let you trade in cleric levels for fighter levels.

Anyway, for the sake of continuity, you should at least think about salvaging your current character before you just write him out of the story. But if you do need to ditch him, you should at least play him out until a time comes up to swap in someone new. And if the character is leaving, maybe the DM can do something interesting with him (ie., he's been a traitor all along and now he has chosen to strike). Just some thoughts...

LandShark

First Post
Latency said:
I am a player that is half way through the adventure currently Level 7, and I am not having fun playing the character I am playing. This is no fault of the Adventure, DM or other PC's. The problem arises in the fact that I am the Cleric.

I am the DM in question here. Player fun is paramount here but let's try to find the source of the "no fun" before we start rolling up a new one. I think it may stem from the playing styles of a couple of other players in the party, not your cleric. Where you and the bard are organized and well-driven, the rogue and ranger like to take things slow and off-the-cuff. What to do?! I really have a dilema here...

More thoughts later...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads