Character creation

What is your view of the character creation process?

• I hate spending a lot of time on character creation. I wish it could go faster.

Votes: 47 13.5%
  • I love spending a lot of time on character creation.

Votes: 224 64.2%
  • I don't mind so much, but then my characters don't tend to be overly complex.

Votes: 48 13.8%
  • I am wishy-washy, and have some other opinion about character creation.

Votes: 30 8.6%

Victim

First Post
My love for complex character creation is inversely proportional to the number of people who disregarded instructions make their characters ahead of time.

ParagonMarty

First Post
I've always enjoyed both the mechanics and backstory elements of making a character. I found the classes in D&D pretty limiting though, as archetypes go after a couple of decades of playing you run through most options.

In the end my friends and I created the Secret of Zir'An, which has a more Traveller meets Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay in reverse kind of thing. We wanted something that, after you were done with stats and skills and abilities, really gave you a framework of who your character was besides the 'I'm a first level sorcerer who's off to adventure for no reason', which is what you get from D&D nowadays.

How long on average does everyone think its worth it to spend on a character. I usually take about an hour to hour-and-a-half to fill out the character record and write a little something about them.

Marty

Remove ads