• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character creation

What is your view of the character creation process?

• I hate spending a lot of time on character creation. I wish it could go faster.

Votes: 47 13.5%
  • I love spending a lot of time on character creation.

Votes: 224 64.2%
  • I don't mind so much, but then my characters don't tend to be overly complex.

Votes: 48 13.8%
  • I am wishy-washy, and have some other opinion about character creation.

Votes: 30 8.6%

MrFilthyIke

First Post
I looooooove creation creation, savor every moment of it.

However, it's a huge hassle if done on the fly, say, to immediately join a group that instant.

Romnipotent

First Post
If the character is intended as a ring in then it can be done in 5 minutes.
If I intend to play the character for a long time it may take more prep time.
I play gurps mainly now, so every character takes forever to make. Mind you I'm not used to 4th ed yet.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Any PC in a point-based system takes time to build- its all those nasty options and flexibility slowing you down.

Don't get me wrong- "I like a class and level system; I... I really do. Those bloated, old rule sets are designed like a garbage scow." ;)

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
I like complex character creation. Usually, having lots of mechanical choices helps me define the character's personality and history, and viceversa.

However what I don't like is selecting equipment for mid-high level characters, which is far less interesting but possibly even more time consuming.

Steverooo

First Post
I am NOT wishy-washy (I just have another opinion)! I wish character creation were faster (each class got one rank in each Class Skill/level, with the skill points currently given used to max out or buy Cross-Class), but given things as they are, I'll spend the time, to get the PC I want!

der_kluge

Adventurer
Changing the focus of the thread a bit, do you think there's a way to create a happy medium in RPGs? Do you think there is any RPG system out there that will allow you to quickly create a character, and to create a character with a lot of detail that takes a lot longer?

Is there a way to balance complex character creation with a simplified ruleset?

Discuss.

diaglo

Adventurer
der_kluge said:
Changing the focus of the thread a bit, do you think there's a way to create a happy medium in RPGs? Do you think there is any RPG system out there that will allow you to quickly create a character, and to create a character with a lot of detail that takes a lot longer?

Discuss.

OD&D(1974) :D

der_kluge said:

Discuss.
This is hugely subjective.

Like I mentioned before, even high level PCs don't take me long periods of time. I know the rules extremely well, and seem to be very good at getting the concept down within the scope of the rules without much trouble.

With d20(most all the d20 games I play, at least) I create characters very quickly, be they PCs or NPCs and the ruleset is, by my view, simple. That's obviously because I understand it well, but I've also seen much, much more complex games.

The_Universe

First Post
der_kluge said:

Discuss.
I'm with Ankh Morpok Guard - the balance would be entirely subjective.

Arnwyn

First Post
der_kluge said:
I don't see why we don't have that now.

Really, you can make a Fighter in a couple of minutes if you want - the longest part is selecting feats and skills. For skills, just choose a couple that you like and max 'em out. For feats, grab a couple of 'usuals' that you consider no-brainers and you're done.

I think more complex is the way to go, and just allow for shortcuts (like what exists in 3.5 now).

Remove ads