• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character creation

What is your view of the character creation process?

• I hate spending a lot of time on character creation. I wish it could go faster.

Votes: 47 13.5%
  • I love spending a lot of time on character creation.

Votes: 224 64.2%
  • I don't mind so much, but then my characters don't tend to be overly complex.

Votes: 48 13.8%
  • I am wishy-washy, and have some other opinion about character creation.

Votes: 30 8.6%

DonTadow

First Post
I'm a big fan of complex character creation as well. THe more time you spend building your character the more attached you to them. I think it provides fora better gaming experience rather than having a character you spend a few minutes on.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
I used the last option, because the reality is I am an allof the above kind of guy. It depends on my mood.

IronWolf

blank
I enjoy character creation for a campaign. Putting thought into the background of the character and then coming up with feats and skills to support the background. It can be a lot of fun and really be the start of a foundation of a memorable character.

3catcircus

Adventurer
I like the actual building of a character but hate all of the mechanics that go along with it. Because of this, I tend to use either Heroforge or another electronic character creator called "DnDCharBook" and am looking at "Grail." Unfortunately, no single electronic character creator does what I want it to do:

1. Easy to use (i.e. it doesn't take a genius to figure out how to use it) - both Heroforge and DnDCharBook meet this requirement.
2. Easy to navigate (I like DnDCharBook slightly better in this regard).
3. Is "complete" (Heroforge is the better of the two).
4. Is easy to add new information (Grail seems like it could be easy to do this in, if it was easier to actually navigate and use.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don't mind taking time to create a PC. Sometimes I play an archetype, sometimes I don't- but I always tweek them to fit MY concepts.

OK, I confess, I occasionally use the old Central Casting books when I suffer from "PC design block," but that doesn't happen often. I probably have 10-20 PC's per campaign/game I own or participate in, filed away, waiting to be used...

MonsterMash

First Post
I don't mind putting time into backstory, etc, but do find that the 3e mechanics are a bit too lenghty and mean I put too much time into crunch not character.

diaglo

Adventurer
Tonguez said:
but yes in OD&D it was largely handwaved which is why DnD is considered by many to be about beating up monsters - handwave the 'character'...

rules as guidelines.

who's handwaving.

as a referee i work with the player to make the mechanics and flavor work for the character he proposes.

if said player wants to learn basketweaving.. i let them. i tell them how long they need to train with someone or train themselves in the techniques necessary to make a useable basket. this is a judgement based on the character. alignment, age, race, stats, background...

say you have a wild child of nature with a low int ... then i tell the player it takes a very, very long time... his baskets are too ragged to stay together...

or say you have a child with a quick wit of a single mother who helped his mother make things for extra money....

then this character is going to know much sooner.. perhaps even surpass his mother in quality one day.

Remove ads