• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character levelled 1 through 20...have you?

Crothian

First Post
Yes, we have done it. It took a little over a year but we gamed a good 16-20 hours a week back then. It was all in one campaign.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Yes, but only once as a player. I ain't on that side of the screen often enough, to have experienced that more often. :( ;) Nah, I don't mind.

But yeah, into "epic". It took years [real and game time], incidentally.

Never played a 3e character from 1 to 20, or beyond, however. Not so far.

taferial

First Post
managed to get a 2nd edd wizard to 15th with only one death that im kinda proud of.

Currently doing age of worms, taken my (pure) warlock from 1st to 18th lvl, and I fully expect him to be epic when the curtain closes. He's died about 4 times now though, so it's kinda taken the shine off.

had a character that was played through all editions. each edition would convert it over (usually losing many levels in the process). finally retired the character last year. you don't even want to dream about the characters level...

28 years of gaming. several sessions weekly....

hahahahahaha.

oh yeah, the character had been male, female, cursed, saved, dead, undead, ascended, damned, redeemed, insane, monsterous, powerful, weak, spellcaster, combatant, criminal, crusader, mercenary, teacher, lost, found, planar, friend, enemy, celebrated, reviled, defender, destroyer, infernal, celestial, bestial, misnamed, nameless, accused, aquitted, feared, fearful, fearless, arrogant, humbled.... but always fun to play. giving up the character was hard, but the dm's council was a'callin.

in our group, we have actual campaigns (and make some use of others) and generally, it takes about 18-24 months to go from level 1 to epic. however, in our campaigns, permanent death/destruction is always a possiblity. we also run epic campaigns. we have some really high level characters and some really good players and dm's.

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
In the 20 or so years I have been playing D&D the highest level I have ever gotten a character was 12th. When running D&D it was about the same.

Now, I hear that there is this other poster, Edena, with a very different story to tell.

shilsen

Adventurer
Keeper of Secrets said:
Now, I hear that there is this other poster, Edena, with a very different story to tell.

If you used Edena's system, since you've played for 20 or so years, you'd have a PC with levels close to or past 100, actually.

In short, what Edena did was run the same character in a number of different games at all sorts of different levels, and whenever one of the Edena-PCs leveled up, he leveled his "main" Edena up too. For example, if the "main" Edena was at 18th level and he was running a 5th lvl PC in some campaign who hit 6th, then he leveled the "main" Edena up to 19th. And so on.

I think it's safe to say that doesn't fit the OP's idea of playing your character from levels 1 to 20.

Morrow

First Post
In 3.0 my longest lived character, Thar the goblin cleric of Maglibyut (sp?), went from 3rd to about 12th. In 3.5 my conjurer/ alienist Abellard Ironfist has gone from 1st to 12th in the Age of Worms Adventure Path. We're still playing, but I predict that if the Spire of Long Shadows doesn't get him, DM burnout will.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads