Character Mechanics that created a fun narrative arc? (+)

I know there are many here that don't find any mechanics will help support this for them and that is okay, but not the point of this thread.

I am interested in what kind of structures (ideally player facing) have made for satisfying stories challenging your character. I've always felt more narratively structured games tend to have more interesting stories - much to do because mechanics resolve fast. But also because players buy in on the kind of problems they face and are excited to engage with it rather than the GM just pulling things from nowhere. See why many D&D PCs are orphans with no family connections to be exploited.

Off the top of my head, Masks remains one of my favorite examples. The Beacon is put under a lot of pressure to perform with significantly weaker powers and their main form of XP with Drives pushes them to find enjoyment in this superhero life. Its great to see a player excited to purposely be weak and then see the creative solutions they come up and their strengths with to show they deserve to be on the team.

What are your favorite examples in TTRPGs?

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I have to admit, the D&D wizard spellbook is one of the main reasons I like the class. Not because it's powerful, but because it creates an inherent reason why a wizard would go around adventuring, if for no other reason than "gotta catch 'em all". Furthermore, it behooves wizards to gather in groups and share research, which creates a nice logical reason to have wizard schools and such.

Remove ads