• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Narratives Preview from PRIMEVAL THULE

Here's another preview of the Primeval Thule campaign setting for D&D 5th Edition coming from Sasquatch Games. I already showed you the table of contents and the beastman warrior. This time it's one of the nineteen character narratives from the setting. "In 5e, narratives can be taken as an alternative to backgrounds. Narratives provide a small list of benefits thematically linked to the story and flavor of the specific narrative. At first level these features include skill training and usually a signature ability that provides a small combat benefit. As the character increases in level, additional benefits become available, reflecting a rise in stature or notoriety. At higher levels a narrative might grant an income, a title, or even followers!" (thanks to Fabrício for the scoop!)

Here's another preview of the Primeval Thule campaign setting for D&D 5th Edition coming from Sasquatch Games. I already showed you the table of contents and the beastman warrior. This time it's one of the nineteen character narratives from the setting. "In 5e, narratives can be taken as an alternative to backgrounds. Narratives provide a small list of benefits thematically linked to the story and flavor of the specific narrative. At first level these features include skill training and usually a signature ability that provides a small combat benefit. As the character increases in level, additional benefits become available, reflecting a rise in stature or notoriety. At higher levels a narrative might grant an income, a title, or even followers!" (thanks to Fabrício for the scoop!)

For the original announcement, click here.

narrative-preview-p1.jpg

narrative-preview-p2.jpg

SigmaOne

First Post
Is there a reason the title says "5 Character Narratives"? Am I missing something?

Also, thank you Rich Baker for participating in the conversation. For our group a short rest usually occurs after multiple encounters; but like ninjayeti said, that's not a big deal. I'm looking forward to having the product in my hands!

Staffan

Legend
In all honesty, we see no difference between saying "once per short rest" and "once per encounter." They're functionally the same thing 99 percent of the time. We just prefer the simpler language from previous editions, and trust savvy gamers to handle the mechanic correctly.
Except, in 5e they're not. A "standard" 5e adventuring day, if such a thing could be said to exist, has 6-9 encounters and 2-3 short rests. So in 5e, "once per short rest" is more like once per three encounters.

The way I like to put it is that in 4e, a short rest is a coffee break, but in 5e it's a lunch break.

Agamon

Adventurer
Hrmmm. Maybe I should just convert the setting myself rather that pay for a conversion I still need to convert... :/

I understand the language issue, but maybe a closer hewing to the rules using different language (like the "once per hour hour long rest" suggested above) is possible?

ChapolimX

Explorer
I'm also unsatisfied with the use of 4th edition specific terminology. I think that "You can use the Cutthroat Strike again after rest for an hour" would avoid legal issues and be much more clear as other people in this thread had pointed. I will not take my pledge because of this, but I think Sasquatch has a good opportunity to improve their project based on feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rich Baker

First Post
So I noticed the Key identity for this lists various classes, including warlord. Is there a warlord class in the book, or is that a holdover from 4E text?

Holdover from previous text, which we're striking out for the 5e version. (Actually a little embarrassed that we missed this one!)

Rich Baker
Sasquatch Game Studio

Rich Baker

First Post
Except, in 5e they're not. A "standard" 5e adventuring day, if such a thing could be said to exist, has 6-9 encounters and 2-3 short rests. So in 5e, "once per short rest" is more like once per three encounters.

The way I like to put it is that in 4e, a short rest is a coffee break, but in 5e it's a lunch break.

Fair enough. Perhaps my players are layabouts.

Rich Baker
Sasquatch Game Studio

epithet

Explorer
How about "You can use the ability once. You regain the use each time initiative is rolled."

5e does give out goodies when initiative is rolled, so that seems like a thematically consistent metric.

Rich, I'm looking forward to seeing the FG module details on the KS page, so that I can throw more money at you.

It might be a bit problematic to assume 5E folk are familiar with 4E terminology. Whereas, I did read the 4E rules many years ago, I no longer have them for reference. However, it's good to know what experience you're after, even though you need to 'tip toe' around terminology.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads