Character Retirement/ Points Transfer

Raylis

First Post
Proposal: Character Retirement.

As per Living Supers rules a player may only have 2 active characters, one at PL10 and one at PL8.

There will be a time when a player wants to retire a character in favor of a new idea or for other reasons.

Proposal: When retiring a character, you may keep 1/2 of all PPs spent, and all unspent PPs. A retired character can never become active again, and can now be used as an NPC by any GM as needed.

In the case of Characters retired for rules issues or problems, a LS Judge may approve the transfer of all earned points, on a case-by-case basis.

Last edited:

Stormwind

First Post
I would like to suggest a slight modification to the proposal as follows:

"When a character is retired any Unspent Power Points are to be allotted to the players new character, at the same power level, during character creation."

The reason I suggest this is that when you look at the Character tracking thread, there is currently no consistent format showing the split of awarded PP's. Consider Bront's post for 'Quake your booty' for an example of this (Sorry Bront - I needed an example and your post was the best way to illustrate my point. No offense intended.). Thus unless you institute a required format for mission awards, then it is simply not practical to separate which unspent PP can or can't be used.

It is also my opinion that separating the PP's that may be used is an unnecessarily complex solution and thus I would suggest to either allow all or none of the unspent PP's.

Salix

First Post
I was holding off, but I would get rid of unspent and make it say earned

Edit: We will also need to figure out what to do with GM credits.

Velmont

First Post
If I understand well, let's guess I'm playing a PL10 character for 4 years and I've been in 6 missions. I've gained a total of 60 PP, among them, 48 are from time spent, 12 are from missions succesfull. During my last mission, a short one, I won 5 PP, 4 from time and 1 from mission. Before that last mission, I've spent all my PP gain. If I decide to retire this character, I would let down a PL14 character at 210 PP for a PL10 character with 155 PP. Is that correct?

A would see a bit frustrating, vene if in M&M, starting at lower PP have a lot less impact than starting at lower level in D&D.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Velmont said:
If I understand well, let's guess I'm playing a PL10 character for 4 years and I've been in 6 missions. I've gained a total of 60 PP, among them, 48 are from time spent, 12 are from missions succesfull. During my last mission, a short one, I won 5 PP, 4 from time and 1 from mission. Before that last mission, I've spent all my PP gain. If I decide to retire this character, I would let down a PL14 character at 210 PP for a PL10 character with 155 PP. Is that correct?

A would see a bit frustrating, vene if in M&M, starting at lower PP have a lot less impact than starting at lower level in D&D.
No, I don't think your character ever increases in PL under the LS system--you just get more than the usual PP for PL 10. If there was a PL increase, it would probably be a very special event.

Velmont

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
No, I don't think your character ever increases in PL under the LS system--you just get more than the usual PP for PL 10. If there was a PL increase, it would probably be a very special event.

Oh, it was talked about, but we never really decided how it will happen. We could do +1 PL every 15 PP, but I'm not sure we should do it like that... anyway, that would be for another discussion/proposal.

Bront

The man with the probe
Velmont said:
Oh, it was talked about, but we never really decided how it will happen. We could do +1 PL every 15 PP, but I'm not sure we should do it like that... anyway, that would be for another discussion/proposal.
I'm more in favor of stretching it out a bit, to, say, 30 PPs earned to increase PL by 1. But that's neither here nor there.

I propose:
When retiring a character, you may keep 1/2 of all PPs spent, and all unspent PPs. A retired character can never become active again, and can now be used as an NPC by any GM as needed.

It can't be all PPs, because, well, you'd have people bouncing in and out of characters way to often for my tastes. 1/2 spent means if you've used them, you can't keep them all, and all unspent allows for someone who gets disillusioned durring a mission to still be rewarded for sticking it out with that character.

Velmont

First Post
Bront said:
I'm more in favor of stretching it out a bit, to, say, 30 PPs earned to increase PL by 1. But that's neither here nor there.

I had something similar in mind, but that will be for later...

Bront said:
I propose:
When retiring a character, you may keep 1/2 of all PPs spent, and all unspent PPs. A retired character can never become active again, and can now be used as an NPC by any GM as needed.

It can't be all PPs, because, well, you'd have people bouncing in and out of characters way to often for my tastes. 1/2 spent means if you've used them, you can't keep them all, and all unspent allows for someone who gets disillusioned durring a mission to still be rewarded for sticking it out with that character.

I like that, and I love the underline idea, that an old PC could become an NPC. that could help to do mission like: "We have recently found that CPU was a mole in our organization and was under the command of a terrorism group...."

Salix

First Post
Bront said:
I'm more in favor of stretching it out a bit, to, say, 30 PPs earned to increase PL by 1. But that's neither here nor there..
I thought of this. I think it should be higher than 15, but I thought 30 might take a while to get to. If it is thirty, I don't think that would hurt anything. characters would definitely be forced to become more well rounded.

Bront said:
I propose:

I agree with this. It seems like a good compromise between the two. Raylis, this is your proposal. What do you think?

Remove ads