Character Sheets: Quick Reference or "Kitchen Sink"?

What sort of character sheet do you prefer?

• Quick Reference. Just show me the final numbers.

Votes: 31 48.4%
  • Full Worksheet. Show me everything.

Votes: 33 51.6%

Irda Ranger

First Post
Look online for Mad Irishman sheets. My DM handed one to me during my first session.

Actually, here you go
I don't find his sheet to be much better than the official one. It's a little cleaner, but that's it. You still need to flip between the front sheet and the power sheet during combat. Further I don't think the power page is well organized.

Mad Irishman (who used to be my "official" character sheet provider for 2E and 3E) suffers from what I call "previous editionism." Almost every other sheet I have seen does too. The 4E ruleset tries to capture the feel of D&D but it is organized totally differently than the previous editions. However the 4E character sheets I've seen are organized pretty much like 3E sheets, which are pretty much like 2E sheets. And that organization is not really appropriate or helpful for 4E.

For instance, look that huge area for feats & special features on MI's 4E sheet's first page. You simply don't need that. Further, that attack section is way, way too small. You need (minimum) an attack entry line for each possible class & race power. But better than that would be a entry lines going all the way to the bottom on the page so that you can enter in Second Wind, your item powers, frequently used Skill stunts, etc. Mechanically all of these things are the same.

I mean, why are the Basic Attacks and the At-Will Powers listed on separate pages? Basic Attacks ARE At-Will Powers. It's just silly. And the fact that the Wizards sheet also does this is no excuse. "Everybody else is doing it" doesn't make an action non-stupid.

Remove ads