Character Submission Thread

vmaaxt

First Post
I'll admit that benign undead are weird, but I like the party dynamic they add. They're good for backup in a fight, and they make for some... interesting RP opportunities. Raising an Orc chieftain before his followers' eyes, and then having him bow to you, makes for quite an impression.
I am going for a sort of "ends justify the means" type thing, here. He's using the undead, but for good reasons. He may not be a nice person, but he has better motivations than most (at least he believes so). So long as he is in control of the undead, then they can't be off doing evil.
[MENTION=6673727]Qik[/MENTION]: I did not realize that. Hmm. That would be a problem. I could try to keep him hidden, and not reveal his undead nature (masks and cloaks, etc), or I could try a different character. The only reason I picked this character is because I've been wanting to play with him for a while, and I didn't see anybody too paladiny wandering around. I'd be okay with a different character for a while. Maybe if an adventure goes out of town, I could bring back Aedger.

Qik

First Post
It's clear you've thought about your PC's motivations for and perspective on using undead, which is good. Really, to me, the issue is this: you're traveling and you want to stay at an inn and you walk in with a skeleton in tow. How can everyone not freak out? You need to go to the guard station to inquire about a recent crime you've been hired to investigate, and you walk in with a zombie. How can the guards not attack on sight? etc etc. That's where I think you run into issues.

You could definitely take an "out-of-city" adventure policy for the character, which might limit his outings, but would solve these types of problems. You could also just raise undead helpers on-demand: not use one in the city, say, but if you're traveling to a dungeon for a mission without time constraints, you could spend a day raising one. So there are options. And frankly, looking at the class, since you don't give up a ton of abilities to get the undead companion (just a domain), I don't think playing the PC without an undead companion at times would overly gimp it.

The other option is you could request an adventure to suit your PC in the Adventure Request thread. I'd consider writing up one myself, but I'm knee-deep in games right now. :)

As long as you're conscientious of the potential issues, I'm sure you can find a way to work with the potential limitations.

Satin Knights

First Post
Reviewing Vax:
a) In shuffling the ability scores, all the changes didn't percolate through. Weapon Dex bonus backed down to 2.
b) Con fort bonus totals as 4/6.
c) Changed Earthbreaker from Range to Reach as that seemed more appropriate.
d) In general, leading zeros are not needed. They were just in the template for placement. I have removed a few when lines were getting long enough to cause scroll bars.
e) I removed the spells sections, as they are unneeded for the moment.
f) I converted sp and cp to gold and played with alignment. It made it easier to find that you were off by four copper pieces. Fixed.
g) I did a little reformatting to eliminate some scroll bars.

Now to advice:
1) Archetypes need to be declared at level 1. Barbarian have a few good ones. So, if you are interested, this is the time to declare.
2) Selling back something to the "store" is at full price instead of the normal 1/2 price. So, spending your gold so you are down to less than 10 is usually a good idea. An alchemist's fire is always a good item.
3) Most games these days are running on group initiative. Those games have accommodations for very high initiatives, but going from 2 to 4 is not going to likely make a difference. So, if you had another trait that was also interesting, swapping it in place of the Reactionary Trait is probably worthwhile.
4) Trail rations. Having a few is a good idea, as some of us GMs are sticklers. ;)
5) With the miserable CHA, you are so far behind on intimidate that a +1 from the trait just isn't going to help. Swapping Bully for something else would probably be a good idea too. Armor Expert, Dirty Fighter, Sacred Touch, History of Heresy, Caretaker or Resilient(Will) are all good barbarian traits. My suggestions are Dirty Fighter and History of Heresy.

Vax has his first APPROVAL of two.

Chronikoce

First Post
[MENTION=6666968]Satin Knights[/MENTION]

Trail Rations! I knew I was forgetting something during equipment purchasing. Also didn't know the full buyback rule. I think if I can swing it I will get some alchemist fire as suggested.

I am torn at the moment on the Drunken Brute archetype. I really like the maneuverability that fast movement provides but I have already begun roleplaying Vax as a man who likes his drink in DWI.

I am also considering Invulnerable Rager Archetype atm as well

I will definitely go back and look into traits. Honestly the reason I chose those two is that the trait section on SRD site is a massive and daunting list to go through (most games I have played in don't use traits so unlike the feat list I have to go through them all).

--EDIT--
I purchased
1 Flask of Alchemists fire (20 gp)
6 Trail Rations (3gp)
Adjusted current gp remaining down from 30gp to 7 gp

Trait choices have been changed
Dirty Fighter
History of Heresy

Backstory will be tweaked slightly to reflect the trait changes

Last edited:

Satin Knights

First Post
I feel Drunken Brute is a trap. You are not allowed to fight in the DWI and there will be few inns you do get to fight in. You are giving up speed and possibly access to other archetypes if you choose that one. LPF tries to keep the characters on a strict income schedule. Your total earnings are always going to be roughly 1.2x your XP. So, downing potions all the time is going to significantly drain your coin purse when you could spend that money on permanent items. Therefore, it is great cinema that may happen once in your career. Conclusion: Trap

Invulnerable Rager: good choice

Caveat: I don't play barbarians.

PS: You can play anything you want. I am just giving advice. I play a triple classed summoner. So, non-optimized is always a possibility. ;)

Chronikoce

First Post
I'm pretty sure that I am going to add in the Invulnerable Rager Archetype. My AC is never going to be great and it seems like I might as well try to soak up some of the damage that I will be taking anyway.

That leads to my next question. My backstory has me coming from Irthos so when it comes to picking my Endure Elements (either hot or cold) I was going to make the choice that matches the climate that I grew up in. What is the climate of Irthose.

I'll look through the other archetypes again but none of them jumped out at me for this particular character. I am playing him as a slightly non traditional barbarian since he has a decent intellect and his brief upbringing in Irthos is the reason he has a rank in Linguistics.

Thanks for the heads up on the Drunken Brute. I feel like I can RP just fine without losing a class feature (fast movement) to gain one that is gonna drain my budget.

Finally, speaking of budget. If my character is at the DWI and getting drinks or a room should I be tallying these expenditures on my sheet?

--EDIT--
Lost a sentence regarding Irthose. Added it in.

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Irthos is in really tall mountains. Cold would probably be your best bet.

As for rp in the inn: essentially you can have your character eat and drink whatever they want without it affecting your wealth.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
robert-baratheon-game-of-thrones-17629743-1280-720_288x288.jpg

"There's no counting coppers in the LPF. MORE WINE, you useless twit!
." - Robert Baratheon, first of his name

Chronikoce

First Post
Ready for another look

Ok, I made some title changes to take account of my choice of the Invulnerable Rage Archetype (Class abilities won't change until level 2).

I won't be adding any other archetypes to Vax, they just don't have the right flavor for the way I picture him.

Other than the changes I made from your previous suggestions (removed the trait bonus on Initiative and Intimidate since traits changed) I think he is pretty much ready to go.

Vax (Chronikoce) - Living Pathfinder RPG Wiki

Remove ads