Character Suicide

Halivar

First Post
I am puzzled at some of the responses here. Isn't a DM responsible for setting the tone of the campaign? I mean, being a gatekeeper for non-core content is absolutely, 100% within the purview of the DM; more so when said content is homebrewed by the player requesting it! The OP has been clear that this homebrew "Blood Hunter" class does not fit in his campaign. I cannot, for the life of me, understand what is objectionable about that.

I agree with Morrus on not forcing players to play characters they no longer like. However, I will also caveat that by saying that character-swapping can also be disruptive to the other players, and they have the right to have fun, too. I was once in a game where our resident power-gamer had a new character every week. If the character was not over-powered, he came back with a new one next week. So take character exits carefully and involve the rest of your group. It's their game, too.

1. His choice for his character to commit suicide not mine
Explain to the player that it is not necessary for a PC to commit suicide in order to be allowed to create a new PC.

2. The class, as far as i can see, is balanced but I do not want it in my world which as you stated is a valid point
It is a valid point - and if this is what the player has been told then that should be enough explanation

3. He does not not enjoy playing his current class but would rather switch to "Blood Hunter"
"not not"? Is that a typo? If he does enjoy his current class and PC then he should simply continue to do so. If he doesn't enjoy his current class and PC then he is free to create a new PC from those classes that he knew ahead of time were allowed. Even if he didn't know he can't come to you saying, "I want this new homebrew class and no other and refuse to accept the answer NO". Explain that to him if you haven't already.
4. Before you say "There are other classes that he has the option to play that's not homebrew", he has expressed that he doesnt want to play other classes besides his current and Blood Hunter
Then it sounds like HE HIMSELF has chosen to limit his participation to playing only that class of character which he already currently has. That's not your problem as much as it is HIS - unless he insists on having his way.
5. This is his first time playing any edition D&D and at the start made it clear I wanted them to pick from base races and classes
And for that reason I'd say you're not obligated to do anything more. The player knows his choices and agreed to them already. If he can't handle that then the door to the outside world is always open to all players, yes?

Is there actually a problem here? I mean, is the player actually throwing fits or something? Or are you just asking if disallowing a homebrew class into an existing game world is within your rights as DM? Hint: yes it is your right.

Mishihari Lord

First Post
The only reasons I have to object to character switching is if it interferes with other players' immersion, or if it interferes with a overarching plot (something I don't actually do much of) that the other players are enjoying. I generally allow character swaps between adventures but not during, which comes down one opportunity every 3-8 game sessions. If a player can't stick with a character even that long then he's probably not a good fit for my group.

For the class, perhaps a compromise is available if you're willing to go to the trouble. If the fluff doesn't fit, maybe the mechanics can be reskinned. If the mechanics are a problem, they can be tweaked. While deciding what to allow in your campaign is perfectly within your rights as a DM, there's usually a way to avoid being heavy-handed about it. If the player isn't willing to make needed changes to the class to fit a campaign, again he wouldn't be a good fit with my group.

Finally character suicide inject unneeded drama in the game and would be unpleasant for a player affected by it in real life. It's better to just have the character leave.

ccs

41st lv DM
Finally character suicide inject unneeded drama in the game and would be unpleasant for a player affected by it in real life. It's better to just have the character leave.

Yes, but most times it simply takes the form of "Death by monster". Something completely plausible in most adventures anyways. The only real difference is that you might notice the character being played a bit more recklessly. Or if you use minis, positioned less tactically.
And short of the DM just not attacking the character there's nothing that'll prevent that from eventually succeeding.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I disagree with those who say "the campaign world is yours" unless all the players in the group have are clearly in agreement that they want to play a game where the campaign world belongs solely to the DM with no player input. Because clearly you and at least one player disagree on what should be in this campaign!
The campaign world and the rules by which said campaign world operates are the mandate of the DM, period.

When a DM and a player disagree on what should be in a campaign there would reasonably be some discussion about it, but if the discussion resolves nothing and agreement or compromise cannot be found then the DM's word is law.

Lan-"but when a DM and all the players disagree it's probably time for a new DM"-efan

VikingLegion

Explorer
While I can't help you out with the Blood Hunter angle on his new character, I do have some advice for "removing" an old character that a player simply isn't enjoying, other than falling on their own sword or just wandering off to go tend an inn: Heroic Death

Years ago I ran a campaign where all the players made a stable of 2-4 characters, mixing and matching them into the storyline as needed for whatever worked best for that particular mission/storyline. One of the players wanted to experiment with a psionicist, something neither he nor I was tremendously familiar with. He's a mature gamer, so I could trust him to not play the class in an attempt to "break" my campaign, it was just something new to try out for size. We talked it over a bit out of game and decided to go for it.

Months later he decides he simply doesn't enjoy the class and would rather play his other 2 heroes. I told him, rather than just inexplicably ride off into the sunset, why don't we give him a memorable sendoff? Now, for inexperienced DMs/players, this might be something you want to work out the details of prior to the session, but we were both veterans of D&D and didn't want it to appear too contrived or rehearsed, so I told him just be patient, play the character for another session or two, and trust that I have something cooked up for him.

It just so happened we were running the Night Below adventure, where heroes descend into an underground aboleth city to defeat the aberrations from capturing and mentally enslaving various communities on the surface. Aboleths are powerful psionic creatures, so it was a party concern when going up against the big bad in the final tower. To counter this, the party liberated a small group of derro slaves that possessed psionic wild talents. This crew, led by the player psionicist, were to attack the aboleth mentally just to tie him up. They knew they would be severely outclassed in a mental battle, but the goal was to simply hold out as long as possible in this psychic duel, while the rest of the party defeated the enemies in the more conventional manner of swords and spells.

Rather than make any rolls, each round of the fight I would describe one or two of the derro collapsing in agony, blood spraying out of their noses, eyes, and ears as they succumbed to the more dominant mind. The player, crafty as he is, saw immediately where I was going with this and kept up the attack. Finally, when all the derro were defeated and the full brunt of the aboleth's awful assault was directed at the psion, I told him (and the rest of the party) that he could feel himself losing this bout, and that he had better break off the psychic contact soon or he would join the derro. Of course the player refused to give in. The next round saw blood streaming from his nose. The rest of the party, having no idea the player no longer wanted to run that psion character, frantically stepped up their efforts to clear the room. On the next and final round, the brave psion's head completely exploded, showering the room with bits of skull and brain tissue, just as the PCs landed the final, killing blow on the aboleth king. No attempts at resurrection magic were made, as the party started to get the gist of what was going on between the player and myself. They would've auto-failed anyway, even if they were made.

My advice is for you to try and build a similar scenario, maybe a "Leonidus" like stand where the retiring character holds out against a superior force, buying just enough time for his companions to escape to safety. Or, if he is known for a particular talent, try to incorporate that into the heroic death. For example, if he's extremely strong, he holds the closing doors of a "crushing wall" trap open long enough for the party to get out of the room (like the Cyclops in Krull, to go way old school!).

Remove ads